PDA

View Full Version : Which honey?

Les Howarth
04-03-2009, 03:28 PM
I made a few gallons of mead many years ago (and one in particular, a Hypocras, was one of the nicest drinks I've ever tasted!) but gradually over the years I drifted away from wine and mead making and concentrated on all-grain brewing. ;D
A few years ago I started making wine again and intended to try some mead making too (especially that Hypocras!). I'm now getting a bit more into it and am reading Ken Schramm's book as well as browsing the internet.
I've come across this site http://www.paynesbeefarm.co.uk/store/Honey-in-Bulk-p-1-c-323.html which appears to be selling a good range of honey at a reasonable price (in the UK).
I have 2 questions:
1. If I have a choice of clear honey or thick honey (such as with the Spanish Orange blossom honey) which is the best to use for making mead?
2. Of the honeys available on this site, are there any that are particularly recommended (I guess that Orange blossom is from what I've read) or avoided (I've read of bad things about Eucalyptus honey)?

I hope to get a few batches of mead going this year.

Cheers, Les

akueck
04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
It looks like the "thick" honey is creamed? I couldn't find something that specified the difference.

Assuming that they didn't add or subtract anything to turn the honey into "clear" or "thick", I would guess it doesn't matter which one you use. Perhaps you could ask how they process each variety; you're looking for minimal processing to preserve the natural flavor and aroma of the honey.

Medsen Fey
04-03-2009, 04:13 PM
Welcome to GotMead? Les!!!

I think I'd stick to the clear, non-crystallized honey.

Orange Blossom is one of my favorites, and usually includes all varieties of citrus lumped in together.

I've not tried Lime honey, but if it is similar to orange blossom it might be good. Clover honey, may be very good.

Heather is a very strong honey that has a distinct bitterness. It can make great meads, but they may need lots of aging, and it might not be the best one to start with.

If you do a search here for Lavender honey, I think it has been discussed by Oskaar (Pbakulic).

I probably wouldn't make eucalyptus my first batch - sometimes it can give medicinal flavors.

Please let us know what you choose.

Medsen

Yo momma
04-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Wildflower and clover honey are the 2 best here in Michigan. I love using Wildflower because of the freshness and the ease of getting it throughout the year at great prices.
If your looking for something more consistent, I would go with your named versions, i.e. Clover, Orangeblossom, Buckwheat..... Some that have a distinct flavor profile no matter what time of the year you get it.