PDA

View Full Version : pectin?

Gardenfish
04-04-2009, 07:30 PM
I have a gal of Trader Joes organic apple juice. It is only juice from select apples. No anything added. It is cloudy in appearance. Do I need to add pectin to my mead when i use this juice? If so I have 100% natural Sure-jell premium fruit pectin. is this ok? And how much do you use?

Thanks, Gardenfish

sandman
04-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi Gardenfish,

I use that juice all the time. The meads I've made using it have all cleared nicely without help. The solids actually help provide nutrients for the little yeasties.

Which store did you get it from? I normally hit either the one on Bell or the one over on 20th.

If you buy your organic apple juice from Sprouts it still comes in one gallon glass jugs. They make great carboys for small batches. There are several Sprouts franchises around the valley.

Medsen Fey
04-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Do I need to add pectin to my mead when i use this juice? If so I have 100% natural Sure-jell premium fruit pectin. is this ok?

No definitely not!
You don't want to add pectin. You want to remove it. Pectins are long chains of galacturonic acid with sugars attached. These are the things in fruit that set to become semisolid in jellies. In a wine the pectins can cause a persistent haze that is difficult to clear.

What we usually add to meads/wines are pectinase enzymes (pectic enzyme) that chew up pectins into smaller particles that will settle and not form haze. I would suggest using pectinase enzymes with your apple juice to clear the pectins that already exist in it.

Medsen

akueck
04-04-2009, 08:09 PM
;D

Someone did ask recently about adding jelly to make mead. If you added pectin, you could try it out. ;)

But seriously, pectin is not something you want to add; if anything you want to make sure to minimize the impact of them on your finished mead.

Gardenfish
04-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Sandman- I live at cave creek and greenway pkwy. I used to use the TJ'S at the Metro center. Now I use the new one at Tatum and Shea or theres one next to where my wife works at the Borgata in Scottsdale.
I did get the gallon jugs. Two of them. Maybe Ill go see Chuck tomorrow and get a couple stoppers for them.

Medsen-I have read so much lately its still a jumbled mess in my head. I will not use pectin and maybe I will try pectinaise in a test jar side by side and see what happens in the near future.

Thanks Gardenfish

Gardenfish
04-04-2009, 11:54 PM
Upon further reviewe the gallons are from Sprouts.

Gardenfish

sandman
04-05-2009, 12:17 AM
LOL... yeah I figured they might be. TJ's stopped carrying them in glass around here due to a "lack of demand" according to them. Just means I get my juice from Sprouts now. ;D

dextroseanhydrous
03-30-2016, 09:55 AM
Pectin (http://www.yameiaspartame.com/products/pectin/) (E440, CAS no.9000-69-5, HS code130220) a structural heteropolysaccharide contained in the primary cell walls of terrestrial plants. It is produced commercially as a white to light brown powder, mainly extracted from citrus fruits, and is used in food as a gelling agent, particularly in jams and jellies.

EbonHawk
03-31-2016, 12:46 AM
Almost a 7-year necro. Awesome. :-)