PDA

View Full Version : Resuspending yeast - potential oxidation?

DGettere
04-04-2009, 09:29 PM
As I was shaking my week old mead tonight to resuspend the yeast I wondered if I was causing any potential oxidation issues? I made a gallon batch, and was shaking & twisting it with the airlock still on. As I was shaking CO2 was still bubbling away happily, so is this OK? How about if I remove the airlock, with CO2 being heavier than air, will I really run into a problem? What amount of air will actually cause oxidation, too?

Thanks again!

wildaho
04-04-2009, 10:15 PM
You should be fine. But you might find a gentler way to re-suspend your yeast to minimize the chances. If you don't have a lees stirrer, try straightening out a wire clothes hanger and leave a little "U" bend in one end. Strip the paint off and sanitize it before use. You can reach into the narrowest carboy neck with this and gently put your yeast back in suspension by twirling it between your palms.

Since you only swirl the yeast during primary, there is normally plenty of CO2 in suspension in your must that is released by the gentle swirl. The released gas will usually displace any O2 that might enter when you remove the airlock.