PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from a newbee

buddha_red
04-06-2009, 05:14 PM
I wanted to stop in and say hi since ive been a member for a while but just discovered the forums.

Would this recipe work, its Joes ancient orange juice but different yeast?

3 1/2 lbs orange blossom
1 Large orange zest and juice
Balance water to one gallon
1 stick of cinnamon crushed
1 whole clove crushed
1tps yeast nutrients
1tsp fermaid k
K1V-1116 yeast

Im sorry if this comes up alot, I searched but couldnt find it. If i need to buy different yeast i am ok with that. I just thought i should ask first.

thanks

akueck
04-06-2009, 05:30 PM
Welcome!

Check out the thread on JAO, there is a lot of info there which will probably answer a lot of your questions. Short answer: changing the recipe at all "voids the warranty". In this particular case, you will probably wind up with less residual sugar and the mead might not be as balanced as intended.

That being said, people play with that recipe all the time. Experiment and enjoy!

buddha_red
04-06-2009, 05:38 PM
thank you very much! Since im working with gallons i may try one straight and one this way.

Medsen Fey
04-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Hi buddha,

It's good to see (or make that text) you again.

You can certainly try a lot a variations to the JOA recipe, but with K1V you will end up with bone-dry mead. Without the sugar, it will likely be hot, bitter and spicy especially early on, and may require some long aging to gain some balance. Still, experimenting is half the fun so enjoy!

Medsen

buddha_red
04-07-2009, 01:29 PM
Thank you for the great information!!

I have this habit of wanting to "tweak" things but until i understand the basics how can i "tweak" anything LOL ill make Joe's as written at another time.

Ive changed my mind, and wish to go with a sweet orange blossom mead. any favorite yeasts for this type of mead? ive read varying opinions on which to use. with WLP720 should i ferment it in the fridge? i live in texas and its rarely 70-75 degrees in a closet.

akueck
04-08-2009, 01:33 AM
What temp is the fridge?

Warm weather is a hot topic around here. ;) If you can find a way to keep it cool, that is your best bet. Otherwise try searching around the forum for some of the discussions on yeast strains to use in the heat.