PDA

View Full Version : hello and thanks for the home

Jason Frantz
04-12-2009, 06:01 PM
hello all ive just started my mead adventure when I (luckily) found this site. I have one bach mead on the rack, (found recipe on another site) seems to be diong good, now I'm looking for my next baby, my wife was hopeing I could find something with a slight peach taste. Curently having trouble with the patron recipe site, it tells me its for patrons only, which I am ,wondering if there is a step Im missing. thanks all, Ive already learned more than I ever thought there was to know from just the forum. Jason

sandman
04-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Welcome to "GotMead?" Jason!!

You should find everything you could want to learn around here. If you haven't already, spend some time reading the Newbie Guide and pretty much everything you can find on the main website. It's amazing how much information can be gleaned from outside of the forums.

Peach is a tricky one. It's such a subtle fruit that it can be hard to get the right amount into your flavor profile without going too light or too heavy. It also takes a lot of space out of your must so you lose quite a bit of volume when you rack off the fruit additions. All that being said, I'm still pondering doing one for myself. I've gone with several other fruits in the past, but I've been holding off on doing a peach until I felt I was ready and the time was right.

If you can't get into the Patron's section you should PM Vicky and let her know. She'll take care of you asap.
:cheers:

Jason Frantz
04-12-2009, 10:44 PM
thanks alot for the info. I concidered just making a normal batch 2 1/2 lbs honey , water to 1 gal. nutrient , and energizer. ferm in primary in 2 gal. plastic, move to secondary 2 gal. plastic add pealed peaches, sit for a while, the rack to a gal. glass for a few months. its a trial so i figuered one gal. at a time would be best.

sandman
04-12-2009, 10:56 PM
Seriously, aside of JAO, I'd go as far as to say that it's pretty much SOP to get good at making traditionals first.

The better the traditional, the better the final variant will be. It's pretty easy to hide flaws when there are all those fruit flavors to mask them. That's actually one of the reasons why I haven't attempted a peach mel yet.

Jason Frantz
04-12-2009, 11:00 PM
I've heard that before and it sounds like very good advice, thanks. jason

Oskaar
04-13-2009, 03:17 AM
Jason,

I just logged in as you and was able to access the Patron Section.

Please log out of Got Mead.com, clear your cache and cookies, close your browser, launch it again and give er another try.

Thanks, Oskaar

Jason Frantz
04-13-2009, 09:17 AM
Yes thanks, its working now.

Thundering Bear
04-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Jason-there's a Peach/Ginger recipe in "The Compleat Meadmaker" that I'm going to try this summer. Maybe that would be good for you?

Good luck.

deanco
04-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Jason-there's a Peach/Ginger recipe in "The Compleat Meadmaker" that I'm going to try this summer. Maybe that would be good for you?

Good luck.

I just had a bottle of the Peach/Ginger this weekend - that I made last summer. Is very nice.

Dean

Jason Frantz
04-13-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm patiently awaiting my copy of complete mead making from amazon right now, suposed to be here today. In the time being I just started my first batch of JAO, It looks great, and was easy to doo. OG was 1.042, I hope thats about right. Thanks Jason...

Medsen Fey
04-13-2009, 03:41 PM
In the time being I just started my first batch of JAO, It looks great, and was easy to doo. OG was 1.042, I hope thats about right.

Not quite.
The gravity of JAO should be somewhere near 1.120 if you followed the recipe exactly and dissolved the honey in completely. If you did those things, you may want to try taking that gravity reading again.

Medsen

and Welcome to GotMead? !!!

Jason Frantz
04-14-2009, 01:46 PM
Your right, oops. the recipe was easy to follow but the hydrometer is hard to read. All I can think is that it stuck to the side of the testing tube. boy that baby is bubling good today. thanks Jason