PDA

View Full Version : First batch - 4 days and counting - Drinkability Question

Woldie
04-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Howdy. New member here. I brewed my first batch this past weekend, and, judging from the happy plop-plop sounds coming from my airlock, everything is going great. My question relates to drinkability. Now, I hate to sound impatient, because I have read a lot about the extent to which a mead improves with age, but what I am curious about is this: just how drinkable with this batch be at the end of a 6-week fermentation? And when I say 'drinkable,' I mean from a newbie's perspective, without the seasoned mead tongue, so to speak. I used Papazian's Antipodal recipe, and, judging by the aromas coming off that bubbler, I'll be drinking in 5 1/2 weeks! I exaggerate, but seriously, any words, 'Nay,' 'Yay,' or otherwise are appreciated.

akueck
04-15-2009, 12:05 PM
"Drinkable" is up to you! If you like it, drink it. Do try and save a bottle or two for at least 6 months, just to give yourself an idea of how aging changes the flavors. If you can hold out a bottle for a year, it should get even better!

Oh, and Welcome!

Jord
04-15-2009, 09:54 PM
Well I started a batch of JAO (my first attempt at making the mead) about 12 days ago now and couldn't help but sneak a little taste yesterday. With the orange in it it tasted similar to a sweet screwdriver (the drink, not the tool) so I'd say it is drinkable right now - if I wanted a gallon sized screwdriver. Personally I'm going to hold out to the end of the two month period then taste and likely bulk age for a little while. Waiting sucks but it'll be worth it in the end for me.

Maybe I'll run off a gallon of cider or something even quicker than JAO in the meantime.

Good luck!

Woldie
04-16-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd prefer to wait a year or two, but I will be leaving the country (I'm currently in South Korea) within 3 months of the completion of fermentation. I'll probably age (in the bottle) as much as I can, and drink/share a few along the way. I've just read so many varied accounts about the taste of various meads at the end of fermentation. I just didn't want to set myself up for disappointment!

Thanks for the replies. They are much appreciated.