• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

First batch - 4 days and counting - Drinkability Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Woldie

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2009
South Korea
Howdy. New member here. I brewed my first batch this past weekend, and, judging from the happy plop-plop sounds coming from my airlock, everything is going great. My question relates to drinkability. Now, I hate to sound impatient, because I have read a lot about the extent to which a mead improves with age, but what I am curious about is this: just how drinkable with this batch be at the end of a 6-week fermentation? And when I say 'drinkable,' I mean from a newbie's perspective, without the seasoned mead tongue, so to speak. I used Papazian's Antipodal recipe, and, judging by the aromas coming off that bubbler, I'll be drinking in 5 1/2 weeks! I exaggerate, but seriously, any words, 'Nay,' 'Yay,' or otherwise are appreciated.

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
"Drinkable" is up to you! If you like it, drink it. Do try and save a bottle or two for at least 6 months, just to give yourself an idea of how aging changes the flavors. If you can hold out a bottle for a year, it should get even better!

Oh, and Welcome!

Jord

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 30, 2009
Bowmanville, Ontario
Well I started a batch of JAO (my first attempt at making the mead) about 12 days ago now and couldn't help but sneak a little taste yesterday. With the orange in it it tasted similar to a sweet screwdriver (the drink, not the tool) so I'd say it is drinkable right now - if I wanted a gallon sized screwdriver. Personally I'm going to hold out to the end of the two month period then taste and likely bulk age for a little while. Waiting sucks but it'll be worth it in the end for me.

Maybe I'll run off a gallon of cider or something even quicker than JAO in the meantime.

Good luck!

Woldie

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 15, 2009
South Korea
Drinkable vs Waiting/Aging

I'd prefer to wait a year or two, but I will be leaving the country (I'm currently in South Korea) within 3 months of the completion of fermentation. I'll probably age (in the bottle) as much as I can, and drink/share a few along the way. I've just read so many varied accounts about the taste of various meads at the end of fermentation. I just didn't want to set myself up for disappointment!

Thanks for the replies. They are much appreciated.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns