• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pumpkin Pie Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

spleefy42

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2008
Hi hi!

I'm looking for some opinions about pitching a second type of yeast. I've got a 5 gallon batch of a pumpkin pie mead that has finished primary. I started with a pound of pumpkin, 15 lbs of Desert Mesquite, 2 tablespoons of Trader Joes Pumpkin Pie Spice, and some things to add nitrogen and acidity. I added 3lbs at the first racking, and just racked it over a final time. I'm ready to pitch in a champagne yeast and am questioning the wisdom of adding another tablespoon or two of the spice. I sampled the mead, and it's still got a bite, but the spice is so subtle, that you can barely taste it. Anyone have any thoughts about whether that will stand out more over aging, or if it will dimish/maintain? Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Tim

Xixist

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 30, 2008
Near Palm Springs, Ca.
Hello.
First off, it sounds delicious. From the little experience I have had... spices seem to build with age, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. On the other hand, with 15 lbs. of honey to 5 gal. and using champagne yeast, the dryness will dilute much of the spice flavor. Sometimes one must just make a call.
Mind you that there are others here with vast experience beyond my own but these are my two cents worth.
G'luck M'friend - Xixist

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Do you know what the current SG is? Why do you want to pitch a second yeast? (just curious)

DaleP

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 30, 2008
Webster Groves, Mo
WOW....wonder what happened with mine, I started with 3 pounds of honey, a pound of canned pumpkin, only a 1/2 tsp of cinnamen and a 1/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice, and I would say its over spiced, so much so, I added another pound of toasted pumpkin (canned) in the secondary to up the pumpkin flavor and hopefully cut the spice flavor. Just tasted it, that did the trick, but its dry and the body seems a little thin. Its a 1.5 gallon batch.

spleefy42

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2008
Unfortunately, my hydrometer broke, so I don't have the SG. I can tell by taste that it still has sugar to ferment. I feel that the Chablis yeast died off from alcohol poisoning. (What a way to go...) So, the idea was to dry it out a bit, rasie the grav, and shoot for something to bring out on those special occasions.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns