• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

CCD cause: infection by Nosema ceranae (Microsporidia)

Barrel Char Wood Products

gavinonymous

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2008
If this is true it's news for celebration!

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/2009/04/a-cure-for-colony-collapse.ars

"Honeybee colony collapse is a sanitary and ecological worldwide problem. The features of this syndrome are an unexplained disappearance of adult bees, a lack of brood attention, reduced colony strength, and heavy winter mortality without any previous evident pathological disturbances. To date there has not been a consensus about its origins. This report describes the clinical features of two professional bee-keepers affecting by this syndrome. Anamnesis, clinical examination and analyses support that the depopulation in both cases was due to the infection by Nosema ceranae (Microsporidia), an emerging pathogen of Apis mellifera. No other significant pathogens or pesticides (neonicotinoids) were detected and the bees had not been foraging in corn or sunflower crops. The treatment with fumagillin avoided the loss of surviving weak colonies. This is the first case report of honeybee colony collapse due to N. ceranae in professional apiaries in field conditions reported worldwide. "

A

andrewschwab

I question this person's results. Don't get me wrong I would love to think it will be this easy or simple.
BUT nosema ceranae has been around for longer then we thought, samples where pulled from back in late 80's and it was already present.
Yes, it does need to be treated for. Yes it will kill a hive, and you can see it coming from a mile away.

I THINK someone got themselves published. Yep I would believe this bee yard had nosema, they treated for it and yep it improved. BUT did it have CCD hmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Why is it no other insects touch beehives that have died from CCD? Other bugs love beehives, honey, pollen all in one place. DANG that is a buffet like no other.
Boy I hate to be the cynic. But someone has to or you would believe everything everyone says:p

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns