PDA

View Full Version : Experimental gallon of JAO slow to start,suggestions?

nsl
05-03-2009, 10:17 PM
Made a gallon of JAO about four hours ago that I modified with half a pack of Lalvin 71B-1122 that I had from last year.The yeast was out of date,but it re-hydrated well.Also,the temperature has been about 65 degrees today due to the rain.Anyway,all the other batches of mead that I have started before were rocking and rolling in a few hours regardless of yeasts used,but they were also pitched at higher temps.The airlock is bubbling,but very slowly.Should I try a warmer spot?Did I mess up by using old yeasts and only half a pack?If the problem is the yeast,I have a pack of 47D.Can I add it,or do I need to put a camden tablet in to kill the 71B first?Yea,I know I broke the rules with JAO,but was looking for a good result without the nasty lees left by bread yeast.

sandman
05-03-2009, 10:58 PM
I did an orange spice mel like that a while back too. Since I didn't follow Joe's recipe I don't call it JAO, but that's just semantics.

It did take a bit longer to start fermenting on me (and it ended a bit hazy) but in the end it produced a nice end product that I'm clearing now for bottling. I advise letting it sit for a few more days minimum before messing with it or worrying about it.

Patience is a virtue with mead. Sometimes the best thing to do really is to step back and have a glass while you wait.

nsl
05-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Also note that I added 1/2 teaspoon each of yeast nutrient and energizer.I was actually worried about an overflow with this,but just the opposite happened.The 71B with nutrient and energizer really took off when I used it in a traditional mead,but it was in the 80 degree range when pitched.

akueck
05-04-2009, 12:00 AM
Things do move slower in the cold. Personally the slightly more sluggish speed of 60-65 fermentations is more than worth it, considering the better results I have been getting at lower temperatures.

80 is a little warm to pitch your yeast if you can avoid it. You will get fast activity there, but greatly increase your production of off-flavors. Try to pitch below 70 and don't sweat the extra few hours of lag time.

nsl
05-04-2009, 12:10 PM
This batch will probably see some 80's as I live in an old house and its hard to control the temp.Anyway,the bubbler is speeding up a little,but nowhere near as fast as the other batches,and hardly no foam.I wonder when it will be safe to top it off with water as I left it low expecting a lot of foam?

nsl
05-04-2009, 08:51 PM
I did an orange spice mel like that a while back too. Since I didn't follow Joe's recipe I don't call it JAO, but that's just semantics.

It did take a bit longer to start fermenting on me (and it ended a bit hazy) but in the end it produced a nice end product that I'm clearing now for bottling. I advise letting it sit for a few more days minimum before messing with it or worrying about it.

Patience is a virtue with mead. Sometimes the best thing to do really is to step back and have a glass while you wait.

Did you wait for the fruit to drop before racking?I know its recommended with bread yeast,but not with the 71B.

sandman
05-05-2009, 09:31 PM
Nope, I racked it like I would any other mead made with wine yeast. When fermentation dropped off to almost nothing I racked to secondary then let it finish and start clearing.

Turned out pretty well, but it definitely ended up stronger than a standard JAO. I was just trying it for the flavor profile option so I didn't really bother too much with gravity readings on this one. It was more of a "just for the heck of it" kind of thing because I had an open jug. ;D