PDA

View Full Version : Question on back sweetening.

Sasper
05-10-2009, 12:11 AM
When back sweetening a mead with honey, what is the best way to incorporate the honey? Is dissolving into a small amount of water and then racking onto that honey/water mix my best bet? Or are there better ways?

epetkus
05-10-2009, 11:25 AM
Sasper,

Assuming fermentation is truly done and you've stabilized your mead first with potassium sorbate (for a day) (I also sulfited mine to hedge off oxygenization issues), to prevent fermentation starting up again, then you can simply add the honey directly to your vessel and stir. I used a lees stirrer hooked up to my power drill and ran it slow so as to minimize aeration.

Of course, you can dissolve the honey in water prior to adding, and this would be beneficial if you need to top off your carboy. No matter how you add it, just be sure to mix it in thoroughly with as little "aeration" as possible.

I recommend you add the honey is small increments and taste after each addition. You can always add more honey, but you can't take it away!

Good luck!

Eric

Sasper
05-11-2009, 12:47 AM
thank you sir!

Medsen Fey
05-11-2009, 11:15 AM
Wayneb provides some good advice for backsweetening in This Thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12106).

If you use sorbate, you definitely want to use Sulfites to prevent bacteria from metabolizing the sorbate and causing a bad geranium smell.

Sasper
05-12-2009, 03:17 PM
thanks for the link medsen.