PDA

View Full Version : Best online store to purchase nutrients?

Sasper
05-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I have never used fermaid k or go ferm when making mead. After all the posts I've read on them have convinced me to give them a try. My LHBS does not carry either of these so I ask where is the cheapest and most reliable online store for purchasing these located? Thanks!

wayneb
05-13-2009, 03:24 PM
Cheapest? I don't know. Most reliable? Most of the bigger online retailers are pretty quick to ship and I haven't had any problems with them, but I prefer to order from AllAboutMead.com when he has what I need, since Brad is a professional meadmaker, and I like to keep business "within the family" whenever I can.

akueck
05-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I have ordered stuff from Jay's (http://jaysbrewing.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=2f410d9494538a94bb638b3b52180392) before as well. Got a discount for being a GotMead member and he donates some money to the site when you buy stuff from him. Not sure if the discount is still active, but you can ask him. He lists both Fermaid K and Go Ferm (under chemicals).

shunoshi
05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm a big supporter of Midwest Homebrew Supply (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/). I have the convenience of living a couple miles away, but they do ship nationwide and carry all manners of brewing goods for beer, wine, mead, etc.

Medsen Fey
05-13-2009, 06:13 PM
MoreWine (http://morewinemaking.com/) is also very reliable - and they have a huge selection of yeast. ;D

Sasper
05-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Thanks everyone I appreciate the diversity! Time for a tabular comparison ;)

Sasper
05-14-2009, 01:01 AM
quick question too as always, can you freeze yeast nutrients like these to preserve freshness? I'd rather buy enough to last me a good while then constantly order offline.

wildaho
05-14-2009, 05:36 AM
Dude,

The $10 dollars or so that you spend for nutrients in a year is such cheap insurance to making things happen right compared to the hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars you will spend in honey to actually USE those nutrients is a non-sequitar in my book.

It's cheap insurance. If you have to throw some out when it expires, so what? You're still ahead of the game by having quick, clean, tasty ferments!

The more you ferment, the more cost effective it is. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2 oz jar of Go-Ferm and another of FermaidK for a single batch. I know that they are gonna do me good, one batch or twelve. It's still WAY cheaper than the honey!

sacrifice
05-14-2009, 11:38 AM
MoreWine (http://morewinemaking.com/) is also very reliable - and they have a huge selection of yeast. ;D
+1 for MoreWine. I purchased my last batch of yeast, nutrients, filters, and other things from them and was pleasantly surprised that their shipping costs were actually realistic and far more appropriate than Midwest Homebrew Supply (http://www.midwestsupplies.com/). Though I have orered from and like Midwest, I will more than likely order from MoreWine in the future because of selection, especially yeast, fair shipping costs, and fast service.

ndbrewlady
05-14-2009, 12:54 PM
I order both from MoreWine and Midwest. Compare the prices, some things are cheaper from one then the other. Plus they both don't have the same items. If you need something like a carboy or better bottle, they will open the box and put your yeast inside, then you only have one box and the shipping isn't bad. I really haven't had bad luck from either. I just like the fact that you can store a list on MoreWine, keeps me spending more.... ;)

Sasper
05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
Dude,

The $10 dollars or so that you spend for nutrients in a year is such cheap insurance to making things happen right compared to the hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars you will spend in honey to actually USE those nutrients is a non-sequitar in my book.

It's cheap insurance. If you have to throw some out when it expires, so what? You're still ahead of the game by having quick, clean, tasty ferments!

The more you ferment, the more cost effective it is. But I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2 oz jar of Go-Ferm and another of FermaidK for a single batch. I know that they are gonna do me good, one batch or twelve. It's still WAY cheaper than the honey!

Ya I know I am convinced already that I need these nutrients to make superior brews, I was just asking if I could freeze them to preserve freshness for 2 or maybe 3 years instead of 1.

Sasper
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
I went with more wine and am so glad I know its existence now! FREE shipping on a 13 pound order! WOOOHOOOO.

Medsen Fey
05-15-2009, 03:50 PM
I've never tried freezing the nutrient but I don't think it would do them any harm. I don't think DAP needs to have anything done to it except to keep it dry. What is ammonium phosphate going to turn into for goodness sake? it's not a complex substance, it's almost elemental.

For the yeast derived, organic nitrogen containing nutrients, freezing would probably keep them preserved indefinitely.