• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

The Cupboard Under the Stairs

Barrel Char Wood Products

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I'm pretty stoked...Two days of triple-digit temps and it's cooler in there than it is in the AC-cooled house. I was wondering. It's a nice, deep, dark space on the cool side of the house, perfect for carboys, and if it stays this cool all summer...saving a real cellar, it might just work.

But then again, I found out last night that my son got accepted to grad school in Oslo, so he's leaving in July. There goes my brewing pard.

Guess the Norwegian girlfriend beat boring ol' Mom, eh?

MikeaJones113

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 24, 2009
Sacramento, CA
I wish I had a closet under the stairs like that. With the high temps around here, I am going to have to use some extra chilling device to brew through summer. I am just lucky that the Apfelwine I started was mostly finished before the heat wave hit.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Geeze! I leave cool and comfortable Colorado on Friday, drive to Mountain View getting here just a few hours ago, and the mercury hits 100F on my way west of Sacramento - and that was before noon!!

What's with this weather - it is only May yet, right??

BTW - I am in the neighborhood for you SF Bay folks, but unfortunately I only found out that I'd be coming out on Tuesday, and my van is packed to the ceiling with stuff for our conference at NASA Ames so I couldn't bring out any mead. Maybe next time we can get together and get a tasting to happen!

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Well, if you're gonna put it that way...

:eek:

NASA Ames is a great place. I only wish I was smart in the ways that they could use me, but I am--sadly--not.

Have fun being scientific while you're here.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Well, if you're gonna put it that way...

:eek:

NASA Ames is a great place. I only wish I was smart in the ways that they could use me, but I am--sadly--not.

Have fun being scientific while you're here.

But you're a science teacher, aren't you? (I think I read that in another thread.) Ames is a great place to explore things like aeronautics, bioscience, and astrophysics!

And I always have fun when I come out here -- have been since my first trip back in 1982. I used to work for NASA directly, both in Houston and near DC. I spent lots of time at Ames back when they had many of the NASA aircraft based here. Sadly, they don't keep them at Moffett Field any more.

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
I am, and I love all those topics, but unfortunately the math gene got almost completely switched off in my genome. It's sad, really. My undergrad and grad work were in biological anthropology.

When you're on your way home, if you find yourself going through the Sacramento area in your overloaded van come dinner time, let me know and I'll feed ya...I'd offer a free room at Casa Avena, but Elk Grove's not so far from the Bay Area that you'd need it.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Can't do any of that stuff these days without someone to make sure the computers are networked. Maybe there IS hope for me with those NASA types when I come back to the states. ;D

Too bad you haven't had to make an AZ trip lately. I could have sent you home with a six pack or few to help glean my stocks a bit. LOL

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Thanks for the invite! As you already know, since I pass thru Sacramento on I-80 I'll go pretty close to your neck of the woods. But, current plans have me leaving either late on Wednesday evening (our conference ends at 5PM, then we pack up and I might head out at that point), or more likely I'll wait until Thu AM and start driving then. Doesn't look like the timing will work out for a dinner stop on this trip, but I admit, I say that with regrets. Not only do I want to meet all the local Gotmeaders out this way, but I'm not one to turn down a meal lightly! (Just ask Pete!!) ;)

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Can't do any of that stuff these days without someone to make sure the computers are networked. Maybe there IS hope for me with those NASA types when I come back to the states. ;D

Too bad you haven't had to make an AZ trip lately. I could have sent you home with a six pack or few to help glean my stocks a bit. LOL

If not with NASA, then with one of those small aerospace contractors in the Denver area, perhaps?? :)

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Thanks for the invite! As you already know, since I pass thru Sacramento on I-80 I'll go pretty close to your neck of the woods. But, current plans have me leaving either late on Wednesday evening (our conference ends at 5PM, then we pack up and I might head out at that point), or more likely I'll wait until Thu AM and start driving then. Doesn't look like the timing will work out for a dinner stop on this trip, but I admit, I say that with regrets. Not only do I want to meet all the local Gotmeaders out this way, but I'm not one to turn down a meal lightly! (Just ask Pete!!) ;)
Well, if you do end up leaving on Wednesday evening, and want to cut a couple of hours off Thursday's drive, both offers stand.

8)

Sandman, when will you be done done? I've a cousin over in Iraq who has about 5 weeks (of a 14 month deployment) and he can't wait to get back home...of course with this weather he won't be able to tell the diff.

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Never know dude. After EUCOM I may well consider CO as our next location to move. Hvane't found a place yet that I could say "This is it and I will move no more."

We've got a long term tenant lined up down here already so there's no rush to come back to AZ anytime soon. ;D

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Bummer! Wayne I'd invite you to the Greek festival that is across the street from my house, but it will be over in 90 minutes. If you're interested in a brief tour of Lawrence Berkeley Lab (and the amazing views of the bay), I'll be around.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Bummer! Wayne I'd invite you to the Greek festival that is across the street from my house, but it will be over in 90 minutes. If you're interested in a brief tour of Lawrence Berkeley Lab (and the amazing views of the bay), I'll be around.
Oh, man! You're tempting me with that LBL invite, but I'm probably not going to be able to do it unless I do leave here late Thursday AM and then meet you up there around lunchtime. Could that work?

You know, the weirdest of coincidences is that I'm just now getting around to reading Cliff Stoll's "Cuckoo's Egg," which my wife has been trying to get me to pick up and actually get into for at least a decade. ;) The book may be dated at this point, but at least he describes the fantastic site that the Lab is on. I'd definitely like to see the place!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns