PDA

View Full Version : post backsweetening clarification.

GeorgiaMead
05-19-2009, 01:24 PM
ok got the must where i wanted it, at about 13%ish. natural clarification to about 50-60 % clarity. when i backsweetened it clarification halted entirely. i mean 6 weeks with little to no sediment. i've been blending bentonite with great success, but am afraid to try this one yet due to the standstill. not to mention bentonite creates so much waste. any suggestions?

Medsen Fey
05-19-2009, 01:39 PM
If you can provide the recipe and process details, it may help folks give you better answers.

Of course, as always, the most effective fining agent (and the cheapest, and easiest to use) is time. Letting it sit for several months will usually effect great clearing. Putting it in a fridge to cool it down to about 30F may also speed things along.

GeorgiaMead
05-19-2009, 01:53 PM
god lets see if i can remember. 15lbs clover honey. about 4 gallons water. (we havent tested the water yet but test batches turn out wonderfully so....)
ec1118 carefully prepared as stated in way earlier posts. i think the Bg was 1.15 but i dont have my notes here at work so i cant commit to that. ending was around 1.04. fermented temperature ranged from 60 - 66 (north ga winters mmmmm) fermentation was halted at about 6 weeks using potassium sorbate/campden combination (2.5 tsp potassium sorbate 5 tabs campden). 2 or 3 racks in between. using a 6gallon glass carboy rubber plug and 1 piece airlock. didnt count how many half cups of honey used to sweeten. (looking for flavor not formula at this point.) ummm i think that covers everything.

any ?s just ask