PDA

View Full Version : 13.5 lbs of honey

wildoates
06-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Ten pounds of "generic wildflower," dark and rich, and 3.5 pounds of mesquite. Doesn't it make you want to get a spoon and dig in?

It doesn't look like that any more, as it is now just about 1.000 and finishing up primary, but it sure was pretty when it was first poured into the bucket.

Jason Frantz
06-23-2009, 11:10 PM
it is a beutiful thing. i just stared into almost the same sweet site two nights ago on whats bubling away nicely in my basement.

akueck
06-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Pink toenails!

afdoty
06-24-2009, 04:50 AM
First the honey, then the toes..............where's my mind?

Is that the honey you used in your pumpkin batch?

wildoates
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
All that gorgeous, sensuous, sweet honey and you guys notice the pink toenails? There just aren't enough wimmen 'round these parts.

Chortle!

No, it's the honey for the batch of show mead I've got going to top up the pumpkin, and to rack over fruit at a later date. I decided to subscribe to Ken's theory of always having some show mead going, to rack over...whatever might come up--you never know. The whole boy scout motto of being prepared, and all that.

Next up is Wayne's honey and Al's yeast...I've got pretty much everything I'll need for that--or will by next week when I plan to start it.

wildoates
06-24-2009, 09:10 PM
THIS is the pumpkin mead.

afdoty
06-25-2009, 05:36 AM
THIS is the pumpkin mead.

Nice..............that's the pumpkin and honey? Did you pre-mix the pumpkin with the honey. Sorry to high-jack the thread....

wildoates
06-25-2009, 03:59 PM
I did, yes. Oh, it smelled divine!

And this is the Hive...you can't hijack an essentially open thread, can you?

Hee hee

afdoty
06-25-2009, 05:56 PM
And this is the Hive...you can't hijack an essentially open thread, can you?

Who knew! Hey, no toes in that pic???

wildoates
06-26-2009, 12:41 AM
Nope, sorry.

:crybaby2:

buzzerj
07-20-2009, 11:43 PM
Hey Wild did you use all your show mead to top the pumpkin mead? Hmmmm pumpkin mead. Not sure what to make of that one. Tell me more about your plans for that. Gonna add something else to it? How's it coming along for you? Wonder if Carnes del Mundo can make 55 gallons of your pumpkin mead. Sounds like he's got something going down in Puerto Vallerta.

Buzzer

wildoates
07-21-2009, 12:46 AM
I did use some of it to top up 3 gallons of the pumpkin, which has since cleared nicely and is sitting in the cool darkness like the golden jewel that it is. I haven't tasted it recently, maybe I will tomorrow.

The rest of the show mead was racked over the lingonberries, and that is also happily residing in the Cupboard Under the Stairs next to the Red, White, and Blue.

I've got another show mead just past the 2.3 break right now, using Wayne's raspberry blossom honey. I'll probably leave that one as it is, since I"ve got gallons of mels in progress, and nothing else.

I have no idea who is going to drink all this, but it is sure a lot of fun making it!

akueck
07-21-2009, 01:02 AM
I have no idea who is going to drink all this, but it is sure a lot of fun making it!

I can't think of anyone who would jump on that grenade. ;)

wildoates
07-21-2009, 01:16 AM
So far my friends are...skeptical. People who brew know you can make some quality libations in your basement, but most of my friends tend to go "Mead? What's that?" When I tell them it's wine where the main fermentable sugar is honey, not grapes, they give me that look--yah, right, like that's gonna taste good.

I'm hoping that once all that I've got going is ready to bottle and drink and I start bringing it to parties people will like it and be more enthusiastic about it.

I do have a few people saving bottles on the promise of getting some mead down the line, but I think it's more out of curiosity than any expectation of it being amazing.

I so hope to prove them all wrong!

I definitely want to have several kinds ready to bring to our annual family reunion bash over Memorial day weekend--and since you're not gradumacating next year I hope you will bring your wife down for beer, steak, and abalone that Sunday evening. :)

I also want to play around with putting up a braggot this fall for my son's graduation with his Master's in two years. I've never made beer and don't even like it, but he does. :) Gotta find a recipe that mimics an amber ale, as that's what he likes best.

Oy.

wayneb
07-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Sounds like you need an impartial, mead-savvy party to review and critique your products.

Let me know when they are ready! ;)

wildoates
07-21-2009, 12:15 PM
The more I learn the more afraid I am of having irreparably screwed up every batch I've got going, then having you guys taste my mead thinking "Ewwww...she talks a good line but doesn't know what the heck she's doing."

Marinade. I have gallons and gallons of honey-flavored marinade. :)

Now I've got to call the vet. I've a sick cat.

huntfishtrap
07-21-2009, 12:24 PM

Sick? Or has it been spending inordinate amounts of time in the Cupboard Under The Stairs? :puke: :sad4:

capoeirista13
07-21-2009, 12:35 PM
So far my friends are...skeptical. People who brew know you can make some quality libations in your basement, but most of my friends tend to go "Mead? What's that?" When I tell them it's wine where the main fermentable sugar is honey, not grapes, they give me that look--yah, right, like that's gonna taste good.

I'm hoping that once all that I've got going is ready to bottle and drink and I start bringing it to parties people will like it and be more enthusiastic about it.

I do have a few people saving bottles on the promise of getting some mead down the line, but I think it's more out of curiosity than any expectation of it being amazing.

I so hope to prove them all wrong!

Oy.

I'm going to bank on that being the case. All my friends were skeptical of my brewing too (I'm the only one in the group who does it) and now they are all asking me when my next batch is gonna be ready, and when I'm making a new one. A few of them even know the names and specifically request that I make another batch of citrus stout or blueberry mead, lol. I hope you can convert all your friends too!

wildoates
07-21-2009, 02:08 PM
Sick? Or has it been spending inordinate amounts of time in the Cupboard Under The Stairs? :puke: :sad4:

I wish...that'd be easy--and less expensive--to fix. Poor thing's at the vet getting poked and prodded to find out what's wrong with him. Oy.

I hope you can convert all your friends too!I hope so too...some of them fancy themselves quite the wine connoisseur, so we'll se. :)

afdoty
07-21-2009, 04:07 PM

Me thinks your meads are going to be very excellent, Jenn. Don’t be afraid to have people try them. Honest feed back is a hard thing for a person to give…. And in the end, it’s the only real way we’ll learn.

Has that cat been wrestling the “Frankenstein” Monster?

wildoates
07-21-2009, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Al, that does make me feel better...and none of them seem to taste terrible, so that's a good start, right?

No, Frankenstein Mead didn't get the cat--it's a huge abscess under his jaw that's being lanced right now. Common in cats, but I go straight to worst-case scenario every time. I hope I'll be able to go over and pick him up soon for some extra tender loving care, poor thing.

But the vet bill? Ouch. The school district got some one-time funds that they are distributing to all staff later this week...I just spent mine. No more mead toys for this girl.

:)

akueck
07-21-2009, 04:55 PM
No, Frankenstein Mead didn't get the cat--it's a huge abscess under his jaw that's being lanced right now. Common in cats, but I go straight to worst-case scenario every time. I hope I'll be able to go over and pick him up soon for some extra tender loving care, poor thing.

Yeah, been there. Didn't have to have it cut open though, it fixed itself. One cat got a claw stuck in the other cat's lip. It was kind of funny, then "o crap". It happened again later, but this time the claw got stuck in my finger. Went most of the way through! Neosporin.