• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Just wanted to introduce myself

Barrel Char Wood Products

Patchez

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2009
York, PA
Hello everyone!
I'd like to start by telling you all about my first taste of Mead. About 10 years ago I was working for a lady who, with her boyfriend, were former SCAers. They did some mead making while they were with the Jommes Vikings ( I think that was the name). As the story goes they drifted away from the SCA about 17 years prior to my working for them. Well to shorten this story up, I was lucky enough to marry the women of my dreams 6 years ago on July 6th. As a wedding gift my boss and her boyfriend presented my with a gift. A dusty, plain, green bottle. They said the found it in there basement as they were cleaning out an old unused corner to make room for an office. He said to the best of his recollection, the green bottle meant it was from a batch of his "Sack" meads. He also believed that the last time he ran a batch of that was 5 or so years after leaving the SCA. So by his fuzzy memory of days gone by he thought the bottle was between 15 and 20 years old. Just lying in his basement aging and forgotten. We reverently uncorked it and sampled. It was glorious. My limited vocabulary cannot express my delight at the tastes and smells that came from that first and none too few glasses to follow. That is what hooked me. I said there and then, one day I would make my own batch of bottled ambrosia.

So here we are today, the kids are all growing up and moving on to their own lives and I find myself with a little more free time. The plan is to fill it with paintball, fishing and trying my hand at making Mead.

I'm here to get educated on the art of mead making. My cousin has been making wine for about 5 years now and we've kicked around the idea of trying mead. So I've decided to do a little research by coming here and reading up on the NewBee Guide and then giving it a go.

I'll post up some (hopefully informed) questions, once I've absorbed some of this deluge of info.;D

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Welcome to Gotmead Patchez! There's no greater resource to learn about mead than right here. Now, that being said, look into picking up a copy of "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm. Between the main site, that book, and everything you'll find here in the forum you'll find everything you need be get off to a great start.

Read, drink, and be merry. :cheers:

Patchez

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2009
York, PA
Welcome to Gotmead Patchez! There's no greater resource to learn about mead than right here. Now, that being said, look into picking up a copy of "The Compleat Meadmaker" by Ken Schramm. Between the main site, that book, and everything you'll find here in the forum you'll find everything you need be get off to a great start.

Read, drink, and be merry. :cheers:

I keep seeing and hearing that book pop up in conversations and google searches. I believe I'll be heading to Borders tonite to pick up a copy.

Thanks
Chris

Patchez

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2009
York, PA
Thanks for the welcome everyone. Ken's book is on order from Border's as there where none in stock. It should be here this time next week. Priced some wine making kits at a local wine shop that also sells supplies. I also have discovered an apiary about 5 miles down the road from me. Funny how many times you drive down the same road and don't notice certain things until they might be useful to you. I drive this road everyday to work and only REALLY noticed the apiary sign by the side of the road since I've gotten more serious about trying to make mead.;D

ken_schramm

The Compleat Sybarite
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Jan 5, 2005
Troy, MI
Fishing and meadmaking make for a stellar power duo of hobbies. Nothing tops off a spectacular day on the water like a mead. Well, perhaps two might top it off even better.

Welcome to our sublime compulsion. The more you do it, the better your mead gets. The better your mead gets, the more you love doing it. Dreadful state of affairs. Before you know it, you end up writing a book.

Ken

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
At what point does quoting other published material become excessive? ;)

When you receive notice of a copyright infringement suit? :eek:
Of course, with the current state of things, I've got nothing left that anyone can take except my dreams, and some not-yet-ready-to-drink mead, so I think I'm safe. Unfortunately, this is where the path leads if don't write a book.....

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns