PDA

View Full Version : White house bees - how did I miss this?

Medsen Fey
06-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I ran across this news story (http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2009/04/09/white-house-hit-by-swarm-of-bees/) and I had not previously heard that Michelle Obama had bee hives brought in for the White House garden. Well, that's at least one thing the administration has done that we can probably all agree is a good idea regardless of party. :)

Anyone care to guess if the Obamas drink mead?
That would be one heck of a way to put mead on the map - Brad, Fox Hill, and any of the the commercial guys might want to send a few bottles their way.

wildoates
06-29-2009, 01:20 PM
Ayup, and I'm sure she tends the bees just like she tends the garden. :)

I agree--send them some mead and get them hooked. ;D

sacrifice
06-29-2009, 11:55 PM
Well, since the vegetables matured and were ready to eat in about 5 days, I am sure that the bees will provide enough honey for the entire population of D.C. before the end of June.

That said, it is nice they are growing stuff and tending bees.

Dan McFeeley
06-30-2009, 06:50 PM
Years ago, I came across an old book from the 1800's, the White House Cookbook. It was a collection of recipes used in the White House at the time, and it included mead.

So, does this mean that mead returns to the White House with the Obamas? ;D

wayneb
06-30-2009, 11:58 PM
Years ago, I came across an old book from the 1800's, the White House Cookbook. It was a collection of recipes used in the White House at the time, and it included mead.

So, does this mean that mead returns to the White House with the Obamas? ;D
Time for one of us to write the President, and offer to send him some!!

Dan McFeeley
07-01-2009, 08:57 AM
For all we know, Michelle Obama may have visted these boards a few times! ;D

Fox Hill Mead
07-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Anyone care to guess if the Obamas drink mead?
That would be one heck of a way to put mead on the map - Brad, Fox Hill, and any of the the commercial guys might want to send a few bottles their way.

Well, DC is one of the best places to send alcohol! No paperwork, taxes, or anything. Before we started shipping directly to consumers there I called them to double check on this. I was so flabbergasted! Compared to states like NY and VA (big piles of paperwork and taxes/fees every which way), I love DC, MN, NM, and IA!

So tell Michele to order some and we'll be happy to oblige. :D