• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Cyser Leads if you please...?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Gardenmead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, California
Hi All!

I was sifting though the forums and recipe section searching for more info on cysers. I couldn't find too much about the process, practice, or theory in "The Compleat Meadmaker" either.

I was hoping that someone could direct me to some threads or sections of the site I have not discovered where I can read more in depth about cysers.

I just want to read up in general about cysers before my friend's apple trees start producing huge quantities ;)

I understand the basic idea, and I have made hard ciders several times before, but I am the type that likes to read a fair amount about something before trying to brew something that requires lots of time, energy and quality ingredients.

Thanks for all the assistance

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Have you tried the Brewlog section? Cysers are fairly common. "Dangerous Cyser" and "Cinnful Cyser" get a lot of mileage. Ken's Fall's Bounty Cyser is in the book and Pete has his variation of that and a cherry cyser in the Patron section. Or are you looking for more than recipes? I'm not sure what the "theory of cyser" means to you.

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Apple juice, honey and yeast! What more do you need to know?

Cysers are probably one of the easiest meads to make. Yeast just seem to really love apple juice. Simple cysers are wonderful but they also work great as a base to build other melomels and methaglyns from.

Do you have goal in mind beyond "just cyser?". I've made ginger meths, and currant, pear, cherry, nectarine and other melomels with a cyser base. What are you looking for?

Gardenmead

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Santa Rosa, California
Thanks for the help.
Akueck, I will look up the recipes that you suggested, and read as much of the cyser threads as I can in the Brewlog.

Medsen, as far as specific questions, I have one that I have been pondering quite a bit. What do you think about adding apple juice to a show mead that has already been fermenting for a couple months. I am thinking along the lines of melomel making suggested in the complete meadmaker where you ferment a show mead most of the way then when you get the fruit you rack onto them. I want to try this method, but rack onto some apple juice.

I have 5 gallons of show mead fermenting right now and wanted to make a bunch of different mead variations by racking into 1 gallon jugs with different adjuncts.

Any thoughts?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns