PDA

View Full Version : Trader Joe's international connection

Medsen Fey
07-03-2009, 10:49 AM
In my very narrowly focused little world hovering around my fermentation vessels, I don't always see the big picture. We don't have any Trader Joe's down here, but I've obviously read where many of you like them and their products.

I happened to be reading about a German Discount Chain - Aldi (http://wineeconomist.com/2009/01/13/wine-recession-and-the-aldi-effect/) and was surprised to see the connection. You learn something new every day. It looks like they feel the recession is a good time to expand, so who knows, maybe we'll get a Trader Joe's.

skunkboy
07-03-2009, 10:57 AM
OOOO, dose sneaky Germans... but I still like to shop there... less crowded than Whole Foods...

wayneb
07-03-2009, 11:15 AM
Less crowded AND less expensive.

Also, Aldi has owned TJ's since the late 70's - surprised? And the other Aldi has been pretty successful as an alternative to large regional supermarkets in small midwest towns - I've been to a couple in Kansas. If you don't mind the limited selection, they have prices on general commodities that beat out the regional giants, and they are local!

Sasper
07-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Aldi is awesome! They carry blueberry and orange blossom honey, and their selection on frozen fruit is incredible! Not to mention cheap!