PDA

View Full Version : super uber new

NavyNate06
07-03-2009, 09:43 PM
well, i've been interested in brewing for some years now, but because i'm in the navy and move quite often, haven't gotten a start yet. beer and wine are everywhere and i can get them easily, but MEAD, the nectar of the gods, thats kind of hard to find. so, i figured i'd look around and i found this site, i have even tried to boil a must. though, i've gotten a lot of insight and thought through this site. i do have one question, how in the heck do you use Irish Moss and what form is it used? the only Irish Moss i know of is the plant and i'm not sure how to get it from the dirt to the must. i've looked and looked but maybe its a newbie thing, i've been through many newbie "stupid, look it up and search it" initiations but maybe its because its a new forum, please be kind. haha kidding, if i've missed it in my searches let me know.

Medsen Fey
07-03-2009, 09:57 PM
You'll find most folks around here don't use Irish moss. It is a seaweed that is used as a clarifying agent for beers. A lot of mead making sprang from home brewers and they brought the same processes with them - boiling, Irish Moss, hops. Mead making has a lot more in common with wine making. The modern era of mead making has shown us that you don't need to boil honey, and you don't need Irish moss or any clarifying agent in most meads. Generally they will clear on their own in time.

If you are looking at a recipe that calls for Irish moss, it is probably a bit dated, and you should check out some of the recipes here. Without giving a hard sell or anything, the one's in the Patron's section will knock your socks off.

I would encourage you to peruse the NewBee Guide (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14) - it will give you a lot of useful information.

Welcome to GotMead!

Medsen

P.S. Where are you stationed?

Kee
07-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Welcome to GotMead!!

Since you're in the Navy, you might want to start with a JAO (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6885). It's quick and easy and is drinkable in 2-3 months. It's actually so easy you may feel you're not doing enough. Trust the mentors and follow the recipe as it is written!

BTW, I don't know where your quarters are. If on base/ship, ensure you're allowed to brew so you don't get in trouble.

fatbloke
07-05-2009, 04:59 PM
A "jolly jack tar" eh?

Yes I also did my share, though RN (that'd be Real or Royal to you colonial types ;)).

If you're floating on the old "grey and crinkly", then yer screwed. If you're shore based then do what's done quite often here in the UK, though for different reasons......

Brew it a gallon at a time. It's easier to hide, easier to move and if it turns out Ok, then I'm sure as hell you can find a few "oppo's" to help you sink a gallon (oh, yes, I do seem to recall that the USN being a "dry" navy, means that you might need to find a lot of oppo's of sink a gallon as everyones a bit of a "lightweight" ;) - damn I do miss the "inter-service banter", especially the international stuff - some damn fine times and stories logged in the old grey matter).

Seriously though, shore based would mean that 1 gallon batches would be quite easily concealed if you're "in quarters"........

Oh, and of course, how stupid of me...... Welcome to Gotmead....

regards

fatbloke

p.s. erm, maybe the avatar is a bit of a give away...... hey ho!