PDA

View Full Version : Help Please, mead batch

djay1978
07-04-2009, 05:07 PM
this is our first batch of mead, and currently we are finishing the fermenting and noticed after we moved it to the new carboy that it now has white specs that are forming in places, any one know what they are and if we need to do something about them??

Dan

skunkboy
07-04-2009, 09:33 PM
White flecks floating on top the mead, collecting on the side of the carboy, or just generally floating around in the mead?

wildaho
07-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Welcome to the GotMead? Family djay!

Could you tell us how you got to this point? If you can tell us your recipe specifics (and I mean all of them!) like your sanitation procedures, temperatures, environmental conditions, gravity readings, times, etc., we can probably offer better advice. What you describe is pretty vague. It could be anything from flocculating yeast to an infection.

Details please!

djay1978
07-05-2009, 03:24 PM
Thank you for the responses, we are pretty sure it is flocculating yeast after research and moving it to new carboy. It was just the first time we had seen it...I can post the details later, im at work right now.

For the most part they are genearll just floating arounf and i noticed that they were mostly falling to the bootom into the yeast cake after moving it to the new carboy. We sampled the mead and actully have a decent flavor considering we still have at least 4 months to go.

Dan

skunkboy
07-07-2009, 09:46 AM
You will also notice some of the yeast, and other residues, will cling to the side of the carboy instead of just falling to the bottom...this can also look odd or disturbing the first time you notice it.