PDA

View Full Version : Mead Day 2009 Recipe released

skunkboy
07-09-2009, 06:14 PM
http://www.beertown.org/events/meadday/recipe.html

Not much to get excited about this year, mostly a sweetish mead with suggested additions for making a metheglin, and they are still including irish moss...

adriank
07-11-2009, 02:57 PM
http://www.beertown.org/events/meadday/recipe.html

Not much to get excited about this year, mostly a sweetish mead with suggested additions for making a metheglin, and they are still including irish moss...

I think I'll try last year's recipe when I get back from vacation. I'll be out motorcycling in mountains NE Washington that week following.

Not such a good idea to start a batch before being gone for a week. :D

Beertracker
07-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Agreed. One would think that they could've come up with something a bit more interesting. I'll still be on vacation for Mead Day, but planning a citrus/herb combo upon my return. Happy meading everyone! :)

:cheers:

Medsen Fey
07-13-2009, 03:56 PM
Is anyone going to tell them that the Irish moss and pasteurizing honey really isn't necessary? I know, I know - a lot of brewers would have fits of apoplexy to think of fermenting something that wasn't heated, but still...

akueck
07-13-2009, 06:29 PM
I actually drafted an email, but ended up not sending it. I was worried it would come off as haughty, like "hey, um, you're doing that wrong." Perhaps we could just invite them here to research next year's recipe?

Medsen Fey
07-13-2009, 06:33 PM
That sounds like a diplomatic way to handle it. Good idea!

Meriadoc
07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
I actually drafted an email, but ended up not sending it. I was worried it would come off as haughty, like "hey, um, you're doing that wrong." Perhaps we could just invite them here to research next year's recipe?

On the other hand, you could make two one-gallon batches of their mead, one following their directions, and another by your reckoning. Send them one bottle of each, with your compliments, explaining that the heating is unnecessary, and in fact kills the more delicate flavors in the honey!

Merry

Vino
07-27-2009, 06:05 PM
I actually did send an email to Janis last Thursday. Among all the things I didn't agree with my real concern was that there was no mention of stabilizing before bottling or even checking the SG to verify that fermentation was actually complete (many beer brewers skip this step as well)...bottle bombs/glass grenades are not something to be taken lightly. Included in the email was a link to Gotmead.

Vino
07-28-2009, 05:30 PM
I received a reply from Janis Gross with the AHA today, who agreed to make a few changes to the AHA Mead Day recipe...basically removing the carbonating instructions, added a note to check the SG before bottling, as well as stabilizing the finished mead before bottling.

While not perfect it shows a willingness to listen, and I recommended they contact Gotmead next year for a recipe...maybe a JAO.

Baby steps...

capoeirista13
07-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Hey nice, good work on sending that message in Vino.