PDA

View Full Version : loooking for black rasberry recipe

scpousn
07-11-2009, 12:51 PM
I am gonna make my first batch of mead, I had a friend send me 15lbs of black rasberry honey, and i have picked 15lbs of awsome black rasberries, i am looking for a good recipe to use to get a nice sweet mead. i can use any advice you got,, the other question i have is can i just put all ingredients into the primary or do i have to put the fruit into the seconadary..

thanks

TheRabidKumquat
07-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Splitting the fruit between the two would probably give you the best benefits of the fruit. It might also help minimize volume loss between primary and secondary.

I made one black raspberry mead about a year ago, but it went dry on me, which I won't mind. I thought about backsweetening but then decided against it. I used ~4lbs/gallon and added about 1lb of blackberry/gallon. My hydrometer was broke at the time and I never had a chance to take any readings, but it did finish out right around 1.008 When I tried it after about 3 months, it wasn't too bad. It's been sitting around doing it's thing since about January

DaleP
07-12-2009, 06:46 AM
This is my favorite melomel to date. Three gallon batch, I used 9 pounds of honey (blackberry blossom last year, this year I got Black raspberry blossom), 5 pounds of fruit in secondary. I used 71B-1122. Its semi-dry, the fruit taste is amazing. With the wonderful aromas of black raspberry, I would not put any in primary.

scpousn
07-15-2009, 09:01 PM
thanks for the info, is it possible i could have the whole recipe to try,, and what kind of secondary do you use to be able to put all that fruit in?? i have a regular 3 gal glass carboy..

thanks craig

buzzerj
07-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Check out my recipe for Blackberry Melomel among the newbee threads below. Substitute black raspberry for blackberries in it. I think I'll also add some pectinase in my recipe too since I'm heating the blackberries. That may be a good plan for a black raspberry melomel recipe for you. If you're doing 3 gallons instead of 5 gallons just scale all the ingredients down. I'm planning to use a 5 gallon carboy as my secondary fermenter. Hope that helps.

Buzzer

DaleP
07-16-2009, 07:41 AM
With your current ingrediants, here is what I would do. First combine your honey with water to 5 gallons, I don't personally try to dissolve the honey, just pour your honey in, add water (room temp), swirl the carboy as you fill with water. Add nutrients per package instructions (I use Fermaid), rehydrate 3 packets of yeast with Go-ferm, add when cooled to room temp, oxygenate, add air lock. When the undisolved layer of honey disappears (about a week to ten days), give it a couple more days, then rack to another carboy that you added ten pounds of black raspberries. Leave some head space. Put remaining must in sanitised jar in fridge. Stir, swirl, shake, as often as possible till the berries look like they gave there all. They will look nasty, bleached out. Rack to another carboy, with a fine mesh nylon bag fastened around the bottom of your siphon hose. This will keep the seeds, etc, out. Taste. If the berry flavor is good, top off with your refridgerated must and let finish, if you want more berry flavor, repeat the last step with the remaining berries. Unorthodox method, but it produces award winning meads every time!

Medsen Fey
07-16-2009, 09:36 AM
If you haven't looked at Oskaarz Black Raspberry Eclipse (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12063&highlight=black+raspberry), it is a recipe that might give you some ideas as well.