• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

debating fruit types for orange blossom mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

jonalexdeval

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 19, 2009
Oakland, CA
I just started my first mead: (5 gal.)

-15 lbs. california orange blossom honey
-lalvin 71B-1122 Narbonne Yeast (fast fert, 14%, sweet wines, fast maturation)
-nutrients, etc.

But I want to add a fruit at secondary (allow fert to finish in primary, stop, rack onto fruit). However, I am debating this since the orange blossom mead is supposed to make a good show mead as is. I'm looking for advice on what fruits would go well with this particular honey. Any suggestions? I was thinking fresh blackberries or strawberries.

Thanks

jonalexdeval

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 19, 2009
Oakland, CA
Thanks Medsen! I like blueberries, but they sound a little mild. I'm looking for something deeper... cherries for instance if I could find fresh sour. But probably blackberries.

I would really like to do a banana mead at some point. Any chance of 5 lbs. bananas at secondary going well with orange blossom? :)

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Bananas seem to be one of those tricky fruits to capture. I would try blackberries first (a very good choice) and perhaps experiment with the bananas on a smaller scale before committing a large batch. If you do use bananas, be sure to peel them first!

Kloekus

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 17, 2009
the Netherlands
www.kloekus.nl
I'm looking for something deeper... cherries for instance if I could find fresh sour.

Try to find some morello cherries. In my area they are just harvested at this moment. I have often used them in beers and they give a very nice acid, fresh bite with a deep cherry taste to the beer.

How it will work out in mead? No idea.

capoeirista13

Honey Master
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2008
Philadelphia
Medsen's last commen is right on the ball. Quantity and quality make a huge difference. And if you can get fresh fruit it is much better than using a juice or something.

steve2md

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 21, 2009
You could always add a few split open vanilla beans, I have a soft spot for a vanilla orange blossom mead, especially when the florals of the honey come through in the mead well. Otherwise, peaches are in season and go absolutely freaking incredible with citrus honey meads, just use very ripe peaches (NO PITS!!) and plenty of them.

jonalexdeval

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 19, 2009
Oakland, CA
These are all good suggestions. Thanks. If I do some kind of berries in secondary, should I mash them after freezing or just throw them in relatively whole? Maybe I should up it to 10 lbs. in secondary.

Peaches are a good idea... I've got to get some small experimental batches going before all the good summer fruit is gone...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns