PDA

View Full Version : New yeast for stuck fermentation: necessary to rack off older lees?

Rustrose
07-24-2009, 06:26 PM
I'm about to attempt to restart a stuck fermentation on a maple wine. It's been sitting in secondary at 1.060, and I'm hoping to drop that gravity significantly. I sought advice for this in a post a ways back (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14199&highlight=rustrose) and am finally getting around to taking care of it.

I'll be pitching two packs of Uvaferm 43 from an acclimated starter according to Hightest's instructions for restarting a stuck ferment.

One thing I'm not clear on is whether I can simply pitch this starter directly into the secondary or if I need to rack the maple wine off to a new fermenter first. I read somewhere that the lees could have some kind of toxins that could inhibit new yeast growth.

The original yeast was EC1118. It's not the full amount of it, just whatever came along with racking to secondary. The maple wine is crystal clear now otherwise.

I'm hoping I don't need to rack to repitch, because at the moment all my other carboys are tied up.

Medsen Fey
07-24-2009, 11:23 PM
You don't have to rack off the old lees, but doing so aerates it an may help.

I think the bigger question may be what caused the EC-1118 to stick as it is a very hearty yeast. Can you give us the recipe details and gravities?