• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JOA and 71b

Barrel Char Wood Products

dauthiatull

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2009
first batch was done to to recipe 3 weeks ago

sg 1.136
current 1.026
average temp (under the sink) 76F
slowly starting to clear

I am thinking of starting a second batch with some changes just to see the difference

same honey but use blood orange instead if naval

juice half the orange and slice the rest

and use 71b-1122 yeast +energizer&nutrients

I would like to know how the 71b will change it before I start

dauthiatull

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2009
I bought 2 more jugs, 1 for racking

when should I rack it
wife sugested mandirin oranges any experience with these

TheRabidKumquat

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2007
Chicago
I've made JAO w/ both blood orange and Mandarins. Both turned out very nice. The Mandarin, from other's comments is better. The Moro was a bit more tart. I try to make 2 gallon batches of JAO with different varieties of oranges while they are in season and I can find them at the supermarket.

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
Good day fellow Gotmeaders! As I understand it, mandarins will yield a milder, mellow mix. A little less of a citrus zing. Similar to what Mr Kumquat stated. Myself, I've just used navel oranges in my JAO.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns