• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

You're in Love

Barrel Char Wood Products

Sunny

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2008
Waynesboro, Virginia
So I brewed this wonderfully divine Honey Vanilla Chamomile Mead.
It's only 4 months old, but one can already tell it is going to be a winner.
I was thinking of calling it "You're in Love"...b/c I am... and because if you're not you will feel like you are.

But my husband, Matthew says that no one will even taste it because of its bright yellow color.
:rolleyes:

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
Tell me Sunny how is the vanilla coming through in it. Usually vanilla is more transient in it's contribution if you can taste it at all. Is your batch size a one gallon or 5 gallon? What variety of honey did you use?

Buzzer

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
Hmmm...is feeling like you're in love almost as good as really being in love? If so, I want some.

:love4::love2::love1::love9:

Sunny

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2008
Waynesboro, Virginia
The vanilla is hard to detect, even if you're looking for it. But it's still young. I think it compliments the chamomile very nicely. My local apiary (who only produces about 10 gallons a year) thinks it's mostly locust and poplar...but it's a quite dark and heady honey.

My experience with most meads is that they have pretty strong aphrodisiacal qualities. But that's just me. :love2:

I'd be interested in YOUR ANALYSIS of the bright yellow color of this mead.:icon_biggrin:

-Sunny

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
Nothing wrong with yellow. A nice clear and bright result I'd say. It could be a positive. At least I'd consider it that way. People will let their taste decide. It sounds to me that the honey will take the lead as a taste factor in this batch depending on the amount of chamomile used in this metheglin. I'd say you are well on your way to a fine result. One word about chamomile mead, some people who have hayfever might show some allergies to it as chamomile and ragweed are closely related. Bear that in mind. Otherwise Sunny, bright and yellow are qualities that look to match you perfectly. Consider calling your mead Crystal Chamomile.

Sunny

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2008
Waynesboro, Virginia
Thanks so much for the kind words of advise and assurance...Now I feel kinda bad and I have to be honest here...This being the Hive and all, I thought I was making a pretty funny play on words: My bright yellow mead call "You're in Love"... Asking for "Your analysis" was also a purposeful pun. (Urine Love?...Urinalysis?...) I think that it's hard to convey this type of humor online.

It really is a bright yellow, chamomile mead though. Maybe it'll end up being my "No. 1" mead of all time...?...;)

-Sunny

Bryon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 12, 2004
Phoenix, Az
Thats like telling your Blacksmiths apprentice to go get you two furriers tools.
a Hoff Rowel and a Hoff Arded.

He finally came back with the file but side all anyone would tell him when he asked about the Hoff Arded was that they didn't know and maybe it was the horse. He was more than a bit confused.

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Thanks so much for the kind words of advise and assurance...Now I feel kinda bad and I have to be honest here...This being the Hive and all, I thought I was making a pretty funny play on words: My bright yellow mead call "You're in Love"... Asking for "Your analysis" was also a purposeful pun. (Urine Love?...Urinalysis?...) I think that it's hard to convey this type of humor online.

It really is a bright yellow, chamomile mead though. Maybe it'll end up being my "No. 1" mead of all time...?...;)

-Sunny

Uh oh! Another one joins the ranks! Urine big trouble now! These pun threads can get out of hand...8)

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
Sunny I think that you're pun was a bit over my head. But as long as your mead comes out well, that's the most important thing. And if it does, you can always make more batches based on your experience with this one. But my analysis is ditch the name. Your mead might turn out to deserve a better name instead. Keep us posted on how it comes out.

Buzzer

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
I was making a pretty funny play on words: My bright yellow mead call "You're in Love"... Asking for "Your analysis" was also a purposeful pun. (Urine Love?...Urinalysis?...)

I'm sorry to admit it, but I initially missed your specimen of punmanship. I know it's frustrating to toil-at it and have it go unappreciated. Well I can see you are a number one punster - a real pisstol. ;D

sladek

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2010
Hi Sunny!

Plan on making a Chamomile Mead very soon...Your Honey Vanilla Chamomile sounds great! Will you share the recipe? or at least steer me in the right direction? I want to make a 1 gallon batch and was looking at 1-3 oz of dried chamomile flowers or make a Chamomile tea from Celestial Seasons Tea bags.

Any help would be nice...

Thanks!

Lawrence

Smarrikåka

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2006
Stockholm, Sweden
www.mjodhamnen.se
In Skáldskaparmál "the rhymster's share" Odin (in eagle form) "sends some mead back" (that which he hasn't already spat/throown up through his mouth) after Suttung who is hunting him. This mead "that is sent back") is called rhymster's share, and is drinkable by anyone, unlike the mead of poetry, only drinkable by gods.

Rhymsters and punsters are pretty similar breeds, and I wonder just how Odin "sends that mead back", so I thought that little tidpit might have some relavance in this thread.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns