PDA

View Full Version : How many apricots

shaffey
08-03-2009, 01:20 PM
I brewed a mead with 14lbs of honey to 5 g. water that I want to flavour with apricots. The mead has gone through its primary fermentation and now I am going to add the fruit.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how many lbs of apricots to add for a medium fruit character?

Thanks in advance
Sam

wayneb
08-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Apricots are one of those more subtle fruits, so I'd suggest using a lot of fruit in this batch - since this is into secondary, I'd recommend around 15 lbs, weighed without pits.

shaffey
08-04-2009, 10:53 AM
Wow - that's a lot of apricots :) Not sure I can even procure that many. What about peaches- any advice as to how many lbs I would need?

wayneb
08-04-2009, 11:25 AM
Peaches are even more delicate, and their flavors more tenuous. I'd use a minimum of 18 lbs.

But, temper that advice by knowing that I am a fan of "Big Fruit" presence in melomels (as many folks around here could tell you!). ;D

Medsen Fey
08-04-2009, 11:45 AM
[quote=shaffey;127206]Wow - that's a lot of apricots :) Not sure I can even procure that many. [quote]

I'm with Wayne in liking lots of fruit. Balance? Balance? We don't need no steenking balance.....

To keep it in perspective, remember that with grapes you need about 15 pounds to get 1 gallon of juice/wine.

Medsen of the big fruit.