• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

That's quite a cap

Barrel Char Wood Products

EnsNentill

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2009
Ok, just tried a metheglin/melomel I found in the recipe section. It seems I didn't put the grapes in the food processor long enough, and I now have one heck of a fruit cap, which is made worse because it's a one-gallon batch in a carboy. I had to set up a blow-off system instead of an airlock because of it.

At this point, should I just stick with the blow-off system while making sure to push down the cap every day? Would it be better to rack it to a new carboy to get rid of the debris? Or would racking this soon hurt my mead?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Ok, just tried a metheglin/melomel I found in the recipe section. It seems I didn't put the grapes in the food processor long enough, and I now have one heck of a fruit cap, which is made worse because it's a one-gallon batch in a carboy. I had to set up a blow-off system instead of an airlock because of it.

At this point, should I just stick with the blow-off system while making sure to push down the cap every day? Would it be better to rack it to a new carboy to get rid of the debris? Or would racking this soon hurt my mead?

It's difficult to say without seeing what it is you're working with.

Another possibility, if you have a food grade plastic bucket of reasonable size, enough for your one gallon batch and a bit of headspace for the cap and any foaming going on, it might be best to transfer to that. Keep the top covered with a sanitized plastic sheet, don't worry too much about exposure to air -- oxygen in the early stages of fermentation is helpful plus, there should be some CO2 blanketing.

EnsNentill

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2009
I've got:
4 lbs wild desert honey
2 cups of chopped grapes
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 TBSP coffee
K1V-1116 yeast
(1 gallon batch)

Don't have a 1 gallon bucket. All I've got is an extra gallon carboy or two and a six gallon carboy.

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
If those are screw-thread carboys and you have a screw-on lid that is in good shape, then you can temporarily pull off the stopper/airlock, screw a sanitized lid in its place, SLOWLY slosh around the bottle to get the fruit cap submerged and wetted, and then EVER SO SLOWLY open up the screw-cap, replacing it with your stopper.

You will release LOTS of built-up CO2 during something like this, so you'll want to be careful and deliberate every time that you do it.

EnsNentill

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2009
I do have a screw-top carboy with a lid that fits... unfortunately it's not the one my mead is in.

Would it work if I poured this batch through a strainer/funnel combination into a new carboy? I brewed it last night, so aeration isn't a problem at this point, right?

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Yup - you are still OK with respect to aeration this early in the fermentation. But be careful - if things are going well then you have lots of CO2 already in solution in that must, and pouring through a funnel might be enough to turn most of that liquid into foam if you pour too fast.

Don't forget to sanitize the funnel and the new carboy first!

EnsNentill

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2009
Ok, so I'm thinking I'll sanitize a carboy, funnel, and wire-mesh strainer. Stick the strainer in the funnel, then slowly pour in? This should work, right?

AToE

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 8, 2009
Calgary AB Canada
I've done that with a couple batches, works fine for me, but I would swirl/shake it for at least 5 minutes first to avoid that foam wayne mentioned. Also, I would be ready to stop several times to clean the mesh, it clogs very fast for me.

EnsNentill

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 26, 2009
Strained it tonight. Looks like I got most of the chunks out, and the airlock is still bubbling happily. So, looks like the worst case is that the final will have less grape flavor than it would have if I'd processed them better. Oh well, live and learn. Thanks for the help everyone.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns