PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm....Question about Go-Ferm?

Jagland
08-09-2009, 02:31 PM
I was taking a stroll thru Newbee guide, and came upon Go-Ferm.
Being the newbie that I am, i'm experimenting with 1 gallon batches, and according to the instruction it says use 17ml H2O per gallon of must to re-hydrate your yeast. I'm sure I'm wrong here, but isnt that 0.5 oz. H2O? How does the go-ferm and yeast fit into such small amount of water? or is it as simple as using a little more H2O when making such small batches?
Also can you use Go-Ferm with any yeast?

One last Q: I'm reading alot about peeps who like ale yeast in there mead,
if so, can someone give me a few suggestions of which ale yeast they like so I can investigate further.

Thanks and have a great day!

Dan McFeeley
08-09-2009, 10:07 PM
It's a small amount of water, but if you're scaling down the yeast and go-ferm equally, these are also small amounts.

It's been a long time since I made a one gallon batch, other than JAO, but I still pitched 5 grams of yeast regardless. Mostly because I didn't want to tear open the packet and measure out one gram of yeast! ;D

buzzerj
08-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Try 50 ml of water (1.6 fl. oz.) at 104-109 degrees F for a 5 oz. packet of yeast. I haven't used Go-Ferm as yet but for 5 g of yeast it works fine.

Buzzer

Medsen Fey
08-10-2009, 09:24 AM
If you plan to pitch a 5 gram packet of yeast into a 1 gallon batch (that's what I usually do), then rehydrated it as though you were going to pitch it into a batch using the 1 gram of yeast per gallon rule of thumb.

In other words, use 17 cc of H20 per gram of yeast (85 cc H2O), and 1.25 gram of GoFerm per gram of yeast. This works quite reliably.

Happy mazing!
Medsen

Jagland
08-10-2009, 01:16 PM
Now that, I understand. Thanks Medsen

Regards,
Jagland

wigginsod
05-13-2015, 11:59 AM
I also had a similar question. I think that makes sense regarding using the one gallon rate with the 5g packet. Hopefully I didn't screw things up too much by adding 6.25g GoFerm in my one gallon batch.