2.5 lbs Wild Desert Honey
0.5 Gallons organic apple juice
1 cinnamon stick
K1v-1116 yeast
1/2 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp Pectic enzyme.

8/4/09 Brewing day. SG - 1.08*
8/8/09 SG -1.02**

*This was my first time using a hydrometer, and I may have read it incorrectly.

** I don't have a testing vial for my hydrometer yet (it's on the list for my next visit to the LHBS) so I've just been sticking the hydrometer into the carboy. It bottomed out, so it's entirely possible that the gravity was <1.02

Yesterday (8/9/09) it looked like the fermentation was a little slow, so I timed the bubbles today (8/10/09) and it was 58 seconds between bubbles. So, either my primary fermentation is about done and it's time to rack it, or my fermentation is stalling. It seems a little strange to me that primary fermentation could be done in 6-ish days, which makes me think that it might've stalled.

Should I try aerating it to see if it picks up, or is it too far into fermentation for that to be a good thing? Or does the apple juice just make it ferment faster? I have 2 other batches I made on the same day with the same type of yeast and they're both bubbling happily.

akueck
08-10-2009, 03:11 PM
I would not add air, you are certainly well past the halfway point.

It's probably getting close to done, especially if your OG is correct or nearly so. 10 pts/day is a fairly normal fermentation rate, and that sounds like what you've got. Congrats!

Medsen Fey
08-10-2009, 03:20 PM
It is not uncommon for apple batches to go fast. Yeast love apples.

Get a jar, glass, or tube big enough to take a reading using your hydrometer. Then you can be sure where you are.

Medsen

EnsNentill
08-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Got a proper testing tube. SG was at 1.00, so I racked it into secondary. Unfortnately, my LHBS didn't have any clear glass carboys in stock, so I had to put it in a green carboy, so I'll have to rack at least one more time before I can do the newsprint test in however many months it is until its done.

Took a small taste during the racking. It's... hot. I'm hoping the alcohol taste mellows with age (and I fully expect it to). So, it should be good.

Medsen Fey
08-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Congratulations on your cyser! It should dramatically improve over the next 6-12 months.

The color of your carboy is no big deal. You just want to make sure it is topped up to minimize oxygen exposure. I'm also a believer in sulfites, but then I'm storing things in the tropics.