PDA

View Full Version : New... Dry Mead?

negcx
08-12-2009, 02:09 AM
I apologize, I'm newer than new.

I've just tried some mead and I was overpowered by the sweetness - I didn't even want to drink a whole glass. I'm mostly accustomed to drinking wine, especially the bolder/tannic reds (but I also like dry whites). I'm curious if there are meads that I should try that might fit my preferences more. Can anyone make any recommendations?

Thanks!

Medsen Fey
08-12-2009, 09:10 AM
Welcome negcx!

Which mead was it that you didn't like?
Are you looking for commercial meads that are available, or a recipe for a dry mead?

negcx
08-12-2009, 11:56 AM
It was Mountain Meadows Meadery - Honeymoon Nectar Sweet Honeywine. I wouldn't say I disliked the taste as much as it was just so sweet/rich/thick that I couldn't even finish the whole glass.

I am truly new, i.e. that was my first taste of mead, so I am looking for any available mead to see if I like it with the thought that if I find something that's half decent that I enjoy I will try to make my own.

Thanks for the help!

akueck
08-12-2009, 03:47 PM
Where are you located? Many meads are only available regionally. But, there are meaderies all over, e.g. Long Island Mead (NY), Fox Hill (NC), B Nektar (MI), Redstone (CO), and Rabbits Foot (CA). There are many more too, but those I can remember their locations without looking them up. ;)

negcx
08-12-2009, 05:11 PM
I'm in San Francisco. My next step is going to be to try the Rabbit's Foot Dry Mead once I can find it (apparently it's carried in some BevMos or I'll just have them ship it to me).

wildoates
08-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Ooooh. Another Californian.

That close to Sunnyvale you ought to just drive down to Rabbit's Foot and get a taste to see what you like.

akueck
08-13-2009, 12:18 AM
Yeah, a visit to Rabbits Foot is a good idea. They will pour you a taste of everything (mead, cider, and beer). Yum! Call ahead for Saturdays, they aren't always open. Weekdays they're open in the afternoons/early evenings. I also find their stuff much better at the meadery than in bottles, for whatever reason. Especially the carbonated drinks are noticeably better onsite. They will fill growlers too (if they have any in stock, or bring your own). I might be going on Friday after work....

There's a meadery around here somewhere (I think it's in Oakland, or maybe Hayward?) that does the mead for Ethiopian restaurants. Hit or miss, but when it's good it is very nice. Never gone looking for it in stores, but the brand in the restaurants is Enat. Sweetness level seems to vary, but it is not very sweet.

Or you can come visit me. I've got my mead test batches that need critical mass to open 4 bottles at once for a proper tasting. Might be doing it again soon, with more people this time (Mead Day + 1 was rough). They are all dry or dry-ish with FGs in the 1.003-1.008 range. I have some cherry mead that is bone dry as well. And some oxidized mead for palate education purposes. ;) And some cider. Maybe some sour beer by then too. It's a hardship, coming to visit me. (Jenn--nudge, nudge.)

wayneb
08-13-2009, 11:20 AM
Aaron, next time I have to drive equipment out to NASA-Ames, I want to set up a tasting with you. I'll bring some of mine, you'll have some of yours, and maybe together we'll have enough in the way of temptation to get some of the guys in your neighborhood to converge on one place at the same time.... ;)

negcx
08-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Sounds good. I doubt I can make it there in the afternoon, I don't usually leave work until 6pm. Maybe I'll try to head there on Saturday.

akueck
08-13-2009, 03:28 PM
Their website says they are closed this Saturday. :( But there are always other weeks. Call ahead to make sure they're open. Tomorrow, however, they're open til 8. ;) (I probably won't be there until at least 6:30 and will likely stay through closing.)

akueck
08-13-2009, 03:33 PM
Aaron, next time I have to drive equipment out to NASA-Ames, I want to set up a tasting with you. I'll bring some of mine, you'll have some of yours, and maybe together we'll have enough in the way of temptation to get some of the guys in your neighborhood to converge on one place at the same time.... ;)

That sounds great. My apartment is tiny but there are parks nearby. Suppose you're not supposed to drink in a park though, hey? I guess our building has a courtyard thingy, we could use that. Or maybe I can ask a meadmaking friend if we can crash her place, she's got lots of table space and a nice sunny kitchen. So, when are you coming out next? ;D

negcx
08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
I may go Friday evening. Doubt I can make it there before 7 on any weekday. I'm sure 101 is packed both North and South at that time.

wayneb
08-14-2009, 10:20 AM
That sounds great. My apartment is tiny but there are parks nearby. Suppose you're not supposed to drink in a park though, hey? I guess our building has a courtyard thingy, we could use that. Or maybe I can ask a meadmaking friend if we can crash her place, she's got lots of table space and a nice sunny kitchen. So, when are you coming out next? ;D

I'll let you know as soon as I do!

wildoates
08-14-2009, 10:47 AM
You let me know the date, and if humanly possible, I'll be there. I wanted to get together with you when I was in Berkeley getting my son off to Norway, but we didn't have a spare minute (he's an 11th hour sort of a guy, which drives me mad). I could probably use getting toasted with school starting on Monday. Oy.

Too bad I'm not the one with all the tastables...I've got lots of room, and, since I live in suburbia, lots of parking. One thing I hate about visiting the Bay Area is the parking!

Yeah, a visit to Rabbits Foot is a good idea. They will pour you a taste of everything (mead, cider, and beer). Yum! Call ahead for Saturdays, they aren't always open. Weekdays they're open in the afternoons/early evenings. I also find their stuff much better at the meadery than in bottles, for whatever reason. Especially the carbonated drinks are noticeably better onsite. They will fill growlers too (if they have any in stock, or bring your own). I might be going on Friday after work....

There's a meadery around here somewhere (I think it's in Oakland, or maybe Hayward?) that does the mead for Ethiopian restaurants. Hit or miss, but when it's good it is very nice. Never gone looking for it in stores, but the brand in the restaurants is Enat. Sweetness level seems to vary, but it is not very sweet.

Or you can come visit me. I've got my mead test batches that need critical mass to open 4 bottles at once for a proper tasting. Might be doing it again soon, with more people this time (Mead Day + 1 was rough). They are all dry or dry-ish with FGs in the 1.003-1.008 range. I have some cherry mead that is bone dry as well. And some oxidized mead for palate education purposes. ;) And some cider. Maybe some sour beer by then too. It's a hardship, coming to visit me. (Jenn--nudge, nudge.)

wayneb
08-14-2009, 10:49 AM
Hey, Jenn - if you're offering the venue, I'm sure that lots of folks can bring the potables. Sounds like a fair trade to me! ;)

wildoates
08-14-2009, 11:32 AM
My house is always open, so yeah. Come one, come all. :)

I've got quite a bit of bed space as well. :)