PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Carrowmenagh, Ireland

Dan McFeeley
08-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Hello all --

I haven't been posting as much as I used to, a little too much going on in my personal life but I'm working my way back. A high note -- a recent genealogical search was successful -- we located our Irish family roots in Ireland, Carrowmenagh, county Donegal.

I'm posting from Ireland right now, in a small restaurant in Moville. More family history and local history out here than I could ever imagine!

And of course, I have mead. I sent it ahead of me, can't take it on the plane, and will be sharing it with family here.

buzzerj
08-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Have a wonderful time in beautiful green Ireland! Sharing your mead with your extended family is thoughtful of you. Perhaps they will share their whiskey and stout with you! Have a great trip McFeeley. We expect a complete report on the state of Irish meadmaking and mead impressions.

Buzzerj

wildoates
08-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Sounds divine, all of it.

My great-great grandmother was born in Ireland, but I don't know where. I should see if my uncle knows.

Medsen Fey
08-17-2009, 03:19 PM
I hope you have a fantastic and safe trip! I really want to hear more. Please tell us about any meads you find, and any info you glean on the Irish honey.

Dan McFeeley
08-19-2009, 09:10 AM
I hope you have a fantastic and safe trip! I really want to hear more. Please tell us about any meads you find, and any info you glean on the Irish honey.

Haven't turned up anything on mead here, it's a bit more rare than in the states. For the most part, back in great grandfather Michael's day, it was porter and poitin!

Nice to hear the hum of the bees out here -- the Varroroa mite is in Ireland but I don't think it's reached up here to Inishowen.

-- Dan