PDA

View Full Version : The die is cast

goldenvino
08-18-2009, 11:28 PM
Greetings everyone. I have just started my first batch using Joe's Ancient Orange Recipe. Excited is not even the word to describe how I was when the airlock started bubbling! I have been reading the info on this site and am learning day by day. When I added the yeast, some of it stuck to the inside neck of the gallon carboy. I sanatized the crap out of everything with One Step prior to starting the batch. I was not keen about sticking my finger down in the neck and pushing it down. Does anyone think it will be a problem if I leave it there? I'm probably overthinking all of this but it is my first batch. ;D

Sasper
08-19-2009, 02:18 AM
Swirl the whole jug and the yeast should come off the sides. Or use a sanitized instrument to scrape it down into it.

goldenvino
08-20-2009, 01:22 AM
I noticed today that the foam has traveled into the airlock and out it. Should I forget the whole batch and start again or is it salvageable?

goldenvino
08-20-2009, 02:20 AM
I started reading and found my answer. I still feel stupid but it helps that this happens to others. LOL!

wildoates
08-20-2009, 11:24 PM
I rest secure in the knowledge that whatever dumb thing I manage to do, someone here has done it too.

:)

sandman
08-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Amen to that one. LOL

afdoty
08-22-2009, 08:40 AM
I rest secure in the knowledge that whatever dumb thing I manage to do, someone here has done it too.

:)

Good Judgment comes from experience...and a lot of that comes from Poor Judgment.

wildoates
08-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Indeed, and the nice thing about the folks here that when you do blunder, if there's a way to fix it, someone will know it.

akueck
08-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Yeast are pretty happy-go-lucky. There isn't much you can do to totally ruin a batch, aside from poor sanitation. Collectively I think this board has made every mistake that could be made, but we're always striving to be the most comprehensive place for "oops" advice. Contributions welcome. ;)