PDA

View Full Version : sitting on the cake

jonalexdeval
08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I racked my mead (simple, show mead) to secondary one week ago. To my surprise, I noticed that it had formed a substantial cake in the secondary after only a few days (larger than the primary cake!).

It's only been a week in secondary and I'm wondering if I should rack it again or just let it sit on the lees a bit longer in secondary (if I don't do it now I'll have to wait three weeks). Will it harm the mead to let it sit on the lees like that or is it a good idea to keep racking whenever you get a substantial cake?

Thanks

Medsen Fey
08-24-2009, 10:16 AM
If you provide the details of your recipe and process, you will get better answers.

jonalexdeval
08-24-2009, 08:21 PM
It's a simple show mead: 15 lbs. orange blossom honey, lalvin 71B, 5 gal. batch, OG 1.112, FG 1.02, racked to secondary after 4 weeks. I actually just went ahead and racked it to tertiary since I won't have time to get back to it for three more weeks... going to just let it sit until December.

Medsen Fey
08-25-2009, 10:14 AM
71B is not considered a good yeast for lees aging. Prolonged contact with the lees may lead to some funky off flavor with this yeast so racking it whenever a significant accumulation of lees develops is probably your best bet.