• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fruit on sale but poor on yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

goldenvino

NewBee
Registered Member
Strawberries, cherries, and blackberries just went on sale down here. The only problem is I only have Fleishmann's bread yeast left over from my JOA batch. Any thoughts on using it for a batch of berry wine? I was thinking of buying the fruit and freezing it all until I can order more yeast. I am curious as to what taste the bread yeast would impart on the final product. What say y'all?

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Freeze it and get good wine yeast. Freezing fruit helps break up the cells, so it is often done anyway. RC-212 is good for dark colors, though it needs a lot of TLC and nutrients.

goldenvino

NewBee
Registered Member
Oops. I know I said berry wine but was referring to a melomel. Im going to freeze the fruit as you suggested. Thanks for the yeast suggestion. The main honeys we have down here are orange blossom and common clover. What do you think about K1V-1116? Would it be easier for a Newbee to handle?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns