PDA

View Full Version : Mead Types

yasuke
08-25-2009, 07:04 PM
Is a mead made with honey and rice a braggot or is it an Other Mead Type.

Additionally is a mead made with honey and agave Other or the primary type e.g. a Melomel.

Arcanum
08-26-2009, 12:08 AM
The honey and rice combo I believe would be classed as "other" unless you used malted rice. Braggots are typically honey combined with malted grain and/or hops.

I don't think agave mead would technically be a melomel either, since you're not using an actual fruit.

That's the technically correct answer. In reality, I doubt anyone would care much if you used the terms (particularly the agave melomel), except possibly in competitions.

akueck
08-26-2009, 12:23 PM
Even in competitions the rules can be interpreted in various ways. They don't require you to submit an ingredient list. I heard of a guy submitting a beer as a fruit beer because it fermented really hot and got very estery. No fruit in the beer. He said it scored well. Just choose the category that fits best and away you go! Remember you're not competing against other entries (directly), but being judged against a standard for the category you choose. A spectacular stout would score poorly in the porter category; a great capsimel would tank as a cyser. If your rice mead has malty notes and reminds you of a braggot, then call it a braggot.

yasuke
08-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Thanks, I placed 3rd in the Melomel category in this years Mazer Cup Int'l.

I wondered if one mead got dinged a little on the scoring because it was possibly out of category.

This coming year I wanted to be a lot more careful.