• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Legality Question

Barrel Char Wood Products

Nickademas

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2009
Seattle
Hey Folks,

I am wondering what the legality is of sending some of my mead to my brother.
I live in Seattle, he is in Colorado.

Mail Service/UPS would be used.

Just wondering if your able to do so over state lines with no issue...

No money exchange would be involved...

~nick

akueck

Certified Mead Mentor
Certified Mead Mentor
Jun 26, 2006
Ithaca, NY
It is illegal to send alcohol (homemade or otherwise) through the US mail. Period.

FedEx, UPS, DHL and such will carry it. Pack it really well, they won't be gentle. A bag filled with absorbent material is a good idea in case something breaks. Leaking boxes are not good. Otherwise, no problems. I've sent beer & mead all over the country.

Kee

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
DHL is now out of the US market. You're stuck selecting between FedEx and UPS. I believe both have policies against sending so alcohol unless you're a distributor so you'll need to be discrete about what's in the box. It's enforced differently in different areas of the country; your area may not care.

A

andrewschwab

ups has no issue, even homebrew. If there is no money exchanged you are on the up and up.

wildaho

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 22, 2007
McCall, ID
wildaho.blogspot.com
Aaron nailed it on the USPS thing. Do NOT ship via the mail! You will go to jail if your bottle breaks!

FedEX is more forgiving than UPS. Just label things as yeast samples.

Every state has it's own peculiarities for shipping into or out of. The less they know the better. But I'd still go with FedEX (with a home web account to print your own shipping labels) before I'd try any of the others.

:cheers:
Wade

Nickademas

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 17, 2009
Seattle
Thanks!

I will give FedEx a go.

Brother has been hounding me ever since hearing my batch of Joes was finished lol... I need the carboy cleared out to get another batch going to be ready for the Holidays.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns