PDA

View Full Version : Overseas Shipping?

Arcanum
09-03-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm in the process of cold-crashing my mead, and will be bottling soonish (in the next few weeks or month, hopefully). I have a friend who moved from upstate New York to Australia a couple years ago. I'd really like to send him a bottle or two of mead.

Has anyone done anything like this? Does anyone have any suggestions, warnings, or the like?

Medsen Fey
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
I have shipped "vinegar" and "gourmet honey" our of the country in bottles with success but, I have no idea how the customs officials in other countries approach enforcement of whatever their laws may be. It is probably wise to do a little research into Australian law as you wouldn't want to get anyone in trouble.

Arcanum
09-03-2009, 07:36 PM
Aussie law seems fine with alcohol being mailed as long as it's less than 140(!) proof, or less than 24%ABV if the container is > 5l. No particular import restrictions either. It's just the US that has dumb laws about mailing alcohol.

sandman
09-04-2009, 03:23 AM
Check on amounts you can mail as well per customs on the distant end. When I moved to Germany I could only ship 2 bottles per adult. Almost missed that one.

Leaves me a lot of mead back in AZ sitting and aging nicely though. ;D

Arcanum
09-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Someone can bring 2.25L or so into the country without paying any kind of duty, and you can send someone up to $25 of value as a gift with no problem. I think I'm good in that respect.

wildoates
09-04-2009, 09:03 AM
Check on amounts you can mail as well per customs on the distant end. When I moved to Germany I could only ship 2 bottles per adult. Almost missed that one.

Leaves me a lot of mead back in AZ sitting and aging nicely though. ;D

Norway makes it 4 bottles. My son brought 4 bottles, and I got the rest. :)