• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Meadmaking Video Learning

Barrel Char Wood Products

buzzerj

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 22, 2009
San Jose CA
I just watched a meadmaking video on YouTube. It was a three part video showing exactly how to not make mead. The meadmaker rehydrated his yeast outside in January in the cold with snow on the ground before he started to combine the other ingredients (honey and water). About 4 minutes into the first part of the video, the meadmaker states "Did I tell you this is the first mead I've ever made?" It was embarrassing to see someone make a how to video when they really don't know how. His heart was in the right place but he really didn't know much on the subject. I thought to myself has this guy ever even visited Gotmead.com to try to learn how to make mead? He didn't even know how to spill honey right. I thought this video really gives meadmaking a bad name. If he would have only read Angus' Newbee Guide, he'd know more about yeast nutrition and mead making in general. He made two five gallon batches of show mead thinking it will result in 8-10% alcohol and didn't even adequately mix the honey into the water. There still was a honey layer at the bottom of both his carboys. He racked his mead for the first time after six months, it ended up at 1.014 when he wanted a dry mead and told the viewers about it while holding a glass of totally turbid mead and said although it ended up sweeter than he wanted, he didn't mind its lack of clarity. It was painful to watch.

It got me thinking what a better video could show and how it would compliment the educational resource that Gotmead really is. If people having mentor level knowledge/experience made a few videos on various aspects of making mead and some real wisdom is imparted by those who have the tremendous knowledge, I would think those videos would be a great new resource on Gotmead. If the videos can be hosted on the website, I think it would be a new learning resource that greatly compliments the Newbee Guide and the blogs and boards. Videos on beginning, intermediate and expert levels could be made. Take a subject like yeast nutrition, what's been learned over the last few years and imparted by the Gotmead folks has greatly improved the chances of making truly great mead in shorter periods of time. I would think that would make a very interesting and informative video subject in and of itself. When you look over the internet to see what current videos there are on meadmaking, there are a paltry few and the content is very sparse and the educational value is really low. With the combined knowledge on Gotmead, I bet some great videos can be made with the collaboration of a group of people on here. I think that would be a worthy project and even a semi-professional video could broadcast some great learning material. Other videos could include various events, interviews with mentors and experts, competitions and celebrations of mead. A little creative energy and collaboration could result in some really great education on the many interesting topics that are shaping the art/science of mead making today. Plus it could be great fun to see various Gotmead participants get together to make some great mead. I think such would be a worthy subject of discussion and I welcome your inputs.

Buzzer

Shanecb

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 15, 2008

wildoates

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 22, 2009
Elk Grove, CA
That would be a noble pursuit, for sure. I haven't watched the ones you are referring to, but they do sound painful.

Even without videos, a little bit of research will do wonders. I spent many weeks on the internet checking out the whole concept of meadmaking, and finally settled on GM as THE place to go for the best info. I lurked for a while, then signed up. Before I went beyond JAO, I read the newbee guide a couple of times and read many brewlogs.

That way, when I was finally ready to embark on my own, I didn't screw it up.

Yet, anyway. :)

Anyone can do that!

wayneb

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Personally, I'd love to shoot some videos on proper meadmaking technique. However, having worked in television for some years (way, way back in my checkered past), I know how much work it is to produce a video that is both correct in approach and interesting enough to hold people's attention.

One day, if I ever get to retire from the bill-paying job.... ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns