PDA

View Full Version : JAO clarity?

EnsNentill
09-21-2009, 11:00 PM
So, my batch of JAO is about 2 months old, and it's pretty clear. I haven't tried reading newsprint through it yet, but I think I could; however, it seems a little foggy as compared to the cyser and metheglin I currently have brewing beside it (which are about 2 weeks younger than it). So, I'm just wondering if maybe the Fleischmann's yeast makes it a little cloudier, or am I just being impatient and need to let it sit longer?

Dan McFeeley
09-22-2009, 03:03 AM
So, my batch of JAO is about 2 months old, and it's pretty clear. I haven't tried reading newsprint through it yet, but I think I could; however, it seems a little foggy as compared to the cyser and metheglin I currently have brewing beside it (which are about 2 weeks younger than it). So, I'm just wondering if maybe the Fleischmann's yeast makes it a little cloudier, or am I just being impatient and need to let it sit longer?

Yep, let it sit longer. Nine months, at least, is about right for aging a JAO.

Myself, I like to make two one gallon batches of JAO, when finished rack to a single one gallon carboy, leaving the orange rinds, raisins, ect., behind from the two batches. It works, and I can bulk age a one gallon batch of JAO with no extra "stuff" in it.