PDA

View Full Version : i think i give up..

arnaud
09-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Hi everyone,
In my previous posts i was complaining about the result of the mead making attempts of the last few years, not knowing what i possibly could have done wrong..
in my beginner years i was working NOT sterile and most of it worked out.
A few months ago i bought all eqiupment new.. made a new batch and it tatses awafull.
hard to describe, a yellow, mildy sour taste..
i do not know what the cause is..
all other brewing attemps with lemonade go well,..
i miss the old mead though..
But there must be a cause..
Anyone an idea?

wayneb
09-24-2009, 11:52 AM
Arnaud, we will need to see an outline of exactly what you did with this batch before we can try to determine what went wrong. Can you post your recipe, and a description of the steps that you followed when you put it together?

Kee
09-24-2009, 02:51 PM
Hello, Arnaud.

In addition to posting the exact process you've used so the experts can assist you with this batch, you might want to check out the Newbee Guide (http://www.gotmead.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=108&Itemid=14). There are a lot of techniques that can greatly improve the quality of your mead. For example, I live in the desert so I found higher brewing temperatures was an issue for me when most brewers don't have to worry about that.

Good luck.
Kee

tom5head
09-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Yeah I want to hear more too....like how far along it is etc. I had/have a sour taste but my oldest batch going is only about 2.5 months.

I will mention I just started some new batches with honey from a different apiary and it is (I think) noticeably better at 4 weeks than my older stuff at 2.5 months....but still a somewhat sour smell...much more subtle though.

Medsen Fey
09-26-2009, 11:21 AM
When your confidence is shaken, go back to basics. Make a simple batch of Joe's Ancient Orange. Leave it alone, then bottle it up. You can plan more recipes as you sip on some tasty orange mead.