PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Up size of Joe's Ancient Mead

Sambarker
09-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Hey All,

I am completely new to mead making, all I have done so far is make one 1gal batch of Joe's Ancient Spiced Mead. Looking towards the Christmas holidays I though I might set a further 5gal batch going. If I were to do this would I need to simply times all ingredients by 5 including the yeast?

Thanks for all the help and for having such a great website,

Sam

wayneb
09-24-2009, 02:46 PM
Joe's Ancient Orange is definitely scalable, so just multiply by 5! Some folks advise going a bit light on the spices, though, since they tend to come out stronger in larger batches.

Oh, and let me not forget to welcome you to "Gotmead!"

Now we have to convince you to also try one of the other recipes that can be found here... ;D

buzzerj
09-26-2009, 01:27 PM
Welcome to Gotmead Sambarker! Good to have you join our little group. Wayne is right on as usual. I would go light on the cloves. One or two is all I'd recommend for 5 gallons or they can really influence the taste. You only need one 7 gram packet of Fleishman's Active Dry Yeast even for a 5 gallon batch. The yeast start multiplying after they are pitched in their new environment. But everything else can be scaled up to 5 gallons. My son made his first 5 gallon batch yesterday with me helping by phone. He filled up the carboy before he got the honey mixed well with the water so he had trouble mixing the two but otherwise he said it's bubbling already this morning.

Buzzer