• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sobe Bottles anyone?

Barrel Char Wood Products

MagicNinja

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 24, 2009
So a few weeks ago Smiths had a sale on sobe, i bought about 6 case of regular sobe in the glass bottles.

I was wondering if anyone has tried using them for small test batches at all. Or if anyone sees an inherent problem with using them.

I know i wouldn't get much out of them seeing as they are only 20 oz bottles, so maybe 16 oz or so, maybe a little more.

My primary reason for doing this would be so see how different honeys tastes come out. There are so many varieties out there I really can't justify purchasing enough of each for a 1 gallon batch(2-3 lbs), just to taste.

I ran a search and only one post mentioned the use of a sobe bottle, from 2003, and was more in passing than anything else. They didn't really mention the results they had.

They'd be easy to clean, and the bungs for my 1 gallon just fit them perfectly, same size opening. The main problem i see is if i use bungs and airlocks for all of them. And while they may be a time when i do have a dozen or so of each around as a accumulate more gear, I certainly wouldn't be able to fit them all this way. So i'd probably just use a more "archaic" method like a balloon and "burbing" a couple times a day. Or some other method someone else could "recommend"(hint hint).

Let me know what you think?

Arcanum

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
You're going to have a much more difficult time controlling quantities of ingredients in containers that small. That's going to be particularly true of things like nutrients and such that are applied in relatively small amounts even in 1 and 5 gallon batches.

The smaller overall volume is going to make it much more sensitive to changes in temperature as well.

Racking will be more difficult as well, and probably result in a higher percentage of wasted must.

My gut feeling is that the extra aggravation and lossage isn't going to be worth the savings in honey cost. Still, if someone has personal experience (or you decide to acquire said experience) I'd be interested in hearing the results.

EverGreenman

Forest Dweller with a Wine Cellar
GotMead Patron
Nov 4, 2008
Pacific Northwest
the lids fit the 4L Carlo Rosi jugs perfectly.

which means a size 6 bung will fit nicely for your waterlock if you do indeed choose to go this route.

I personally wouldn't. Gallon, or 4L jugs are as small as I ever go or would want to. Even that quantity always always always leaves me jonesin' for more.

meadmonkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 22, 2009
Indiana
I tried using 750 ml wine bottles to ferment a few years back....... Not much luck needless to say, even with burpers I had nice little eruptions about every thre or four days throughout the ferment, lost nearly everything I made, what was left tasted good, but still.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns