PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Some Stuck Meads

agfisher
09-30-2009, 11:39 AM
Back Story

I have a Braggot that I made so long ago I forgot when (maybe 5 years). The fermentation never finished and then I had to make a mead for my wedding, move, get married, work on the house, work, (insert another excuse), etc. Needless to say I have now decided to give it a go and try to fix it. Unfortunately, I have lost the information on the original Braggot. I'll be taking a gravity reading tonight on it.

My first attempt on fixing this was to make a 4 gallon batch of about a 1.074 OG and use some 71B in it. I sort of half-assed this one. I rehydrated the yeast with Go-FERM pitch and aerated but I don't think I did it enough and didn't keep doing it (To much training from my beer brewing days!). I wanted to get this mead going and then feed the stuck Braggot to it so the fermentation could finish up. So now I have two stuck fermentations and I need to get them both on track.

Right now I'm thinking about finishing them both up separately and when complete possibly blend if needed. Right now I'm thinking about using EC-1118 for both (Anything better for something like this?). Below is the idea I had for getting this thing rolling.

Plan of Attack

* 2 packets of EC-1118 Yeast.
* 15g of Go-FERM.
* 200ml Water

* In an Erlenmeyer flask, bring 250ml of water up to 90 degrees F. Add 1/4 tsp Nutrient and Energizer. Add 33 grams of honey. Stir to dissolve.
* In a separate container bring 200ml of water up to 111 degrees F and add Go-FERM. Let sit for a couple of minutes.
* Add yeast and let it sit for 15 minutes.
* Add yeast to Erlenmeyer flask and aerate.
* Aerate as much as I want over the next day.
* After 24 hours, add another 33 grams of honey to 250ml of 90 degree F water and add to fermenting must.
* After another 24 hours, add 33 grams of honey (Should I add a little more honey?) to 250ml of 90 degree F water and add to fermenting must.
* The next day split the yeast into two separate 1 gallon carboys and add 200ml of each of the two stuck meads into each 1 gallon carboy. Aerate and add nutrient (How much and what type?).
* The next day add another 200ml of stuck mead to each 1 gallon carboy.
* The next day, transfer stuck meads to clean carboys.
* Add appropriate yeast to each mead (Should I aerate and add nutrient?).

That what I have got so far from reading the forums and from my beer brewing experience. Any suggestions, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam
Medford, MA

wayneb
09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
That current/final gravity reading on the old braggot is needed before you embark on any plan to try to revive it. It may be that a very slow fermentation has taken place and it could already be dry, or you may have started out at such a high initial gravity that 71B won't touch it, even after building and acclimating a starter.

Additionally, 71B is not a good yeast to use to re-start stuck ferments, especially in a braggot that you plan on bottle condition. 71B contributes some funky off-flavors when it autolyzes. I would personally abandon the 71B batch for anything related to the braggot. EC-1118 is a much better choice both because of its inherently higher ethanol tolerance and for its neutral flavor profile once it has settled to the bottom of the bottle.

skunkboy
09-30-2009, 05:38 PM
This may go without saying, but you should probably also taste the braggot, and make sure nothing has happened in the last couple of years which might make this harder than just trying to restart fermentation.

agfisher
10-03-2009, 08:34 PM
Well I finally got time to do some gravity reading and the old mead was at a gravity of 1.036. The other mead, that was the fix, had a gravity of 1.000. So I'm not so worried.

My idea now is to blend the two together. Do a 60%/40% ratio of the 1.036 old to the 1.000 new. That should end up with a 1.022 mead that I'll put into kegs and age for awhile. Sound like a plan?

Adam

wayneb
10-04-2009, 02:06 AM
Yup - blending is a good idea in this case.