PDA

View Full Version : Juniper Berries in Mead?

BikeNBrew
10-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Folks-

Just picked up some dried juniper berries at World Market- Just caught my eye as I was perusing the spices. I searched the forums for references to their use, but wasn't really finding what I wanted.

I am trying to think up a good way to use these in a wildflower mead. Thinking of gin, they likely go well with citrus fruits, and from my homebrewing, I think of coriander as a nice pairing with citrus fruits. So how about it, any great ideas? Tried and true recipes? Love to hear your insights.

Medsen Fey
10-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Did you see this thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9408&highlight=juniper)? It looks to have some good info for recipes.

BikeNBrew
10-03-2009, 10:19 AM
Did you see this thread (http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9408&highlight=juniper)? It looks to have some good info for recipes.

Thanks- somehow I missed that one... A couple of the links were bad, but I like the Lithuanian recipe, and it appears that a 1 oz / gallon ratio is a tad high! Good starting points.

Medsen Fey
10-03-2009, 10:32 AM
If you use the advanced search, and search for juniper and limit it to titles, it will pull up a few more threads that may have something useful. I haven't checked the mead lover's digest archives on the main GotMead sight, but there may be some good stuff there if you do a search on the main site (the forum search only searches the forums).

Syme
10-03-2009, 04:42 PM
Hey BikeNBrew,

I experimented with Juniper Berries a bit recently and I'll share that experience. I tried making a Chamomile Metheglyn a few years ago that came out completely bland with no Chamomile flavor at all. Since I love Gin, I decided to do an experiment. I reopened the 750 ml bottles (they were flip-tops) and added differing amounts of juniper berries to get an idea how to use this spice. After letting the bottles sit for a couple months, I found that 4 berries per bottle gave a strong juniper flavor that I loved. So if you want a strong gin-like flavor, that berry/mead ratio might be a good starting point. Juniper is also commonly used in lower concentrations to make a more nuanced flavor contribution or as part of spice blends, but I have no experience with those approaches. Also, the berries held up well in the bottles and didn't disintegrate or anything. I think they look cool in the final product.
Good luck!

MagicNinja
10-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Hey BikeNBrew,

I experimented with Juniper Berries a bit recently and I'll share that experience. I tried making a Chamomile Metheglyn a few years ago that came out completely bland with no Chamomile flavor at all. Since I love Gin, I decided to do an experiment. I reopened the 750 ml bottles (they were flip-tops) and added differing amounts of juniper berries to get an idea how to use this spice. After letting the bottles sit for a couple months, I found that 4 berries per bottle gave a strong juniper flavor that I loved. So if you want a strong gin-like flavor, that berry/mead ratio might be a good starting point. Juniper is also commonly used in lower concentrations to make a more nuanced flavor contribution or as part of spice blends, but I have no experience with those approaches. Also, the berries held up well in the bottles and didn't disintegrate or anything. I think they look cool in the final product.
Good luck!

If you want it more like Gin you'll need at least half a dozen other herbs and spices :P. There are all sorts of blends used at different distilleries. Hehe, just splitting hairs.

But I do love Gin, its about the only liquor I can drink anymore. So what you've got sounds interesting.

capoeirista13
10-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Redstone meadery produces a juniper berry mead. You could purchase that and see if you like how it tastes.