• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Almost bottling time!

Barrel Char Wood Products

goldenvino

NewBee
Registered Member
I'm two weeks away from bottling my two batches of JAO. I have the bottle filler, tubing, cane, but I am curious about something. The recipe calls for a cloth filter. Would Cheesecloth work or is there another cloth I could use? My plan was to rack/filter into a sterile gallon carboy then rack into bottles using my bottle filler. I was also wondering if I should worry about oxidation during the bottling process. I plan to age a couple of bottles for the heck of it, the rest will be consumed over the holidays. If oxidation is not a problem then I was going to rack/filter into a sterile carboy then pour the mead into bottles via funnel. What do the mead masters say?

fatbloke

good egg/snappy dresser.....
GotMead Patron
I'm two weeks away from bottling my two batches of JAO. I have the bottle filler, tubing, cane, but I am curious about something. The recipe calls for a cloth filter. Would Cheesecloth work or is there another cloth I could use? My plan was to rack/filter into a sterile gallon carboy then rack into bottles using my bottle filler. I was also wondering if I should worry about oxidation during the bottling process. I plan to age a couple of bottles for the heck of it, the rest will be consumed over the holidays. If oxidation is not a problem then I was going to rack/filter into a sterile carboy then pour the mead into bottles via funnel. What do the mead masters say?
Mead master ? Me ? fat chance.......

Anyway, you'll find that meads aren't as likely to oxidise as "normal" wines can..... yes it still can but has to be exposed for a lot longer than a normal red or white wine.

I would suggest that you use a proper racking cane, carefully, when racking into the sterile carbouy the first time. To avoid as much sediment as possible.

Then let it sit for a couple of days, before bottling it..... if you attached the racking cane base to the pipe from the bottling wand/filler, you should (with any luck) avoid putting any sediment into the bottles.

I wouldn't use a funnel to fill the bottles, because while the possibility of oxidation is lessened, there's not point in "tempting providence". Hell, if you don't have a proper bottling wand with the small "push valve" in the base then you'd be better placed in just using a straight syphon hose and clamp or pair of grips, making sure that the pipe reaches the bottom of the bottle.......

Think along the lines of petrol/gas tanker trucks, they never "splash load" either....... though for very different reasons......

regards

fatbloke

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns