PDA

View Full Version : Ok - I am hooked....

sarafina_beekeeper
10-05-2009, 11:18 AM
I can't wait until my honey harvest next year.....

After reading Joe's Ancient Organge recipe it dawned on me that I can make a 1 gallon batch as my first learning batch and won't be out too much $$$ initially on equipment.

I have 2 1/2 pounds of dark honey I collected from last Fall. It has a much richer, more complex taste than the lighter spring honey so I thought it might be good for the JAO recipe. I have another pound of the lighter spring honey to go with it that I would be willing to donate to the cause.

I am headed out at lunch to get my equipment and other ingredients and will be mixing it up tonight!
:cheers:

Arcanum
10-05-2009, 11:29 AM
One of us...One of us...

I think the point at which you're really doomed is when you decide that a single 5-gallon batch at a time just isn't enough. (I just bought a second 6.5 gallon fermenter and two more 5 gallon carboys.)

Angelic Alchemist
10-05-2009, 05:47 PM
Ah hahaha, I just got a 5 gallon better bottle this afternoon. Tell the boys at Defalco's Angel says hello.

sarafina_beekeeper
10-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Ah hahaha, I just got a 5 gallon better bottle this afternoon. Tell the boys at Defalco's Angel says hello.

What a cool place! I didn't see this until this evening. I work not too far south of the Dome (ok... Reliant) so the Stella Link store is convenient for me to run over at lunch. I am all set for my 1 gallon JAO mead.;D

buzzerj
10-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Welcome to the fold Sarah. Once you see how easy it is to make some great mead, you'll never stop. Be sure to read all about it in the Newbee Guide and search the various threads and blogs for even more information. Learn from the questions of others and pretty soon you'll be looking for anything you can ferment in. Go for it and have fun!

Buzzer

wayneb
10-05-2009, 11:24 PM

Alright! DeFalco's lives!! I was one of their early regular customers in the late '70s - early 80's, and just coincidentally I was cleaning out an old box in the meadroom a few weeks ago and I found one of their 1982 'catalogs.' More like a crudely xeroxed flyer -- but the prices were sure pretty good back then!! ;)

Jess
10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
One of us...One of us...

I think the point at which you're really doomed is when you decide that a single 5-gallon batch at a time just isn't enough. (I just bought a second 6.5 gallon fermenter and two more 5 gallon carboys.)

In the beer homebrewing world, that time between batches is referred to as "beer lag". The REAL beer drinkers learn to always have another batch within a couple of weeks of completion. I heard of some hombrewers that could make a 5 gallon batch last six or eight weeks but I think they were from some entirely different planet. With some of my boozey and moochy friends, a 5 gallon batch could be sucked dry on a Saturday night!

Arcanum
10-05-2009, 11:53 PM
In the beer homebrewing world, that time between batches is referred to as "beer lag". The REAL beer drinkers learn to always have another batch within a couple of weeks of completion. I heard of some hombrewers that could make a 5 gallon batch last six or eight weeks but I think they were from some entirely different planet. With some of my boozey and moochy friends, a 5 gallon batch could be sucked dry on a Saturday night!

On the up side, people don't drink wine and mead as quickly as many beers. On the down side, the cycle time on a batch of mead is months if not years, while beer is what, months on the outside?

I'm not going to have mead reliably available all the time for a good while. Maybe I need to split the difference and do a quick finishing braggot or two after the two batches I'm going to be starting soon (a semisweet Christmas spice mead, and a dry oaked fall wildflower mead).

Angelic Alchemist
10-06-2009, 12:37 AM
What a cool place! I didn't see this until this evening. I work not too far south of the Dome (ok... Reliant) so the Stella Link store is convenient for me to run over at lunch. I am all set for my 1 gallon JAO mead.;D

They really are a lot of fun, aren't they?