PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the Hudson Valley!

A Bruno
10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi all. I have been making mead for about 10 years now and just "stumbled" across this site. (I think I found a new home!):D
I live in, the central part of the, Hudson Valley in New York. I am always trying to learn more about the art of fermentation. And recently picked up a new book.
"The complete Mead maker" by Ken Schramm And now I learn He is here! I think this is the beginning of a beautiful relationship!
My next adventure is starting my own Hives. so I will be "lurking"8)

wayneb
10-07-2009, 11:44 AM
Welcome to the "Gotmead" clan, man! Don't be a stranger - please post up a discussion of one of your batches from time to time (aka a Brewlog), if nothing else. We love to hear from kindred spirits, and the discussions that inevitably ensue help everyone else here! ;D

dogglebe
10-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I don't know if you're a member of the Hudson Valley Homebrewers, Bruno, but I strongly recommend that you join them. THere's a lot of good meadmakers in that group.

Phil

A Bruno
10-07-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Phil,
As a matter of fact I am a member. However, I don't attend many meetings though. The drive is a bit away. I do get most of my supplies from Party Creations in Red Hook ( They started the club) though and network through them. Thanks for the input:) Some of the best Mead I have tasted has been from That group:)

dogglebe
10-09-2009, 09:16 PM
Bruce and Gloria, from Party Creations, taught me how to brew beer many many years ago.

I try to attend one or two HVHB meetings a year. Living in NYC makes it a haul to attend. I'm sure there are other clubs in your area. There are a few apiarists in the HVHB. Next time you go to a meeting, you might be able to chat with them.

Phil

pavo6503
08-13-2011, 03:16 PM
A Bruno, I strongly suspect you live in or near Saugerties. If you do, hit me up. My friend and I have just started brewing mead, since it's a bit easier than beer. Not that I don't like brewing beer...

Anyway, we have a few batches going and I had a disaster this week. One of the batches (maple syrup) EXPLODED and we lost 66% of our batch. I know why it happened, and I know how to clean everything to make mead, I just need to know the best way to CLEAN UP after such an explosion. The mead has soaked into the plywood floor of the cabinet and I need a good way to get rid of the smell. It's sickeningly sweet and the wife is unhappy. Any suggestions?

TheAlchemist
08-13-2011, 04:28 PM
A Bruno, I strongly suspect you live in or near Saugerties. If you do, hit me up. My friend and I have just started brewing mead, since it's a bit easier than beer. Not that I don't like brewing beer...

You might do better sending A Bruno a private message. Doesn't look like he/she comes here often...

JayH
08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I just need to know the best way to CLEAN UP after such an explosion. The mead has soaked into the plywood floor of the cabinet and I need a good way to get rid of the smell. It's sickeningly sweet and the wife is unhappy. Any suggestions?

After you have cleaned it up as well as possible, make a paste with baking soda and place it on the floor of the cabinet. In a couple of days it should be greatly improved. works like a charm on many a smelly mess.

Cheers
Jay