PDA

View Full Version : what to make what to make

valhallaorbust
10-09-2009, 03:35 AM
well i am finally getting back up to this again and want to start up a little something, here's where i am at: i have attempted JAO twice and have had decent success(save the carboy crash first go around) and want to start up a little something, however i am a little short in the change dept. so heres the standing, i have 3 lbs of honey and looking to do a 1 gallon recipe heres what i got:
yeast nutrient: "food grade urea and ammonium phosphate", never used(bought at a brew shop awhile back)
3lbs of honey like i said
american oak cubes, never used(also bought at a brew shop awhile ago)
my 1 gallon jug and 6.5 gallon carboy(im pretty sure useless for this)
ph paper, hydrometer, racking cane, etc.

i live near a brew shop, which is awesome and great unlike where i used to live, so i can pick up some yeast and a few cheap supplies there if need be, but im trying to use the stuff i have plus 10 dollars or so. i know like the oak isnt useful till later on but have no clue about the yeast nutrient. i live in california so i can go get fresh fruits/ veggies but again trying to keep it fairly cheap, can anyone please give a little help/ideas, im looking for something a little more complex than JOA but im still a fledgling meadmaker who's getting back into it

JamesP
10-09-2009, 04:34 AM
If you are scraping the cash, substitute 25% honey (or more) with sugar. Won't be as good, but will be drinkable and give you more honey to play with.

Angelic Alchemist
10-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Go to craigslist and check the "free" section. There are often times people who have fruit trees that are giving away seasonal fruit if you go pick it yourself. Also, farmers markets and roadside fruit stands are a good place to score ingredients on the cheap.

I think plums and some citrus fruits are in season right now.

valhallaorbust
10-09-2009, 03:23 PM
didn't find any on craigslist offhand, but that is definitely a good idea, i might post something up seeing if anyone will let me do that, and ya i can do the farmers market too, I'm not completely broke but money is slim ya know? also i thin 3lbs for 1 gallon is good isn't it? i mean depending on what i put in but i would think that is ok?

AToE
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM
I think that's tons for a 1 gal, but you should either be expecting high alc or sweet results depending on your yeast.

Vino
10-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Why not make a cyser, apples are in season and you should be able to pick up some fresh pressed cider at a local orchard for $5.00 or so.

I have made a couple and love the apple/honey combination.

Angelic Alchemist
10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Most of my 1 gallon recipes call for 2.5 to 3 lbs of honey. I like sweet and strong brews. If you want something dry, use less.

Kee
10-09-2009, 07:49 PM
How about a simple traditional mead? Honey, water, yeast, and nutrients.

BTW, "food grade urea?" I'm sure I've used it, but EWE! I really perfer not to know what I'm using sometimes.